Two Spoke Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Old, fat, and slow
883 Posts
That aero seatpost will surely increase the speed. :D

I'd say, Good choice on the black grips .... the mix'n'match green thing wasn't working .... new chainring is indeed beautiful.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Not much aero to it, lol, butt it will help some with comfort, be a bit lighter and better looking than the gloss black.......

Did do the green valve stems tho and some better black pedals are on the way.............
20170902_190049.jpg
20170902_190111.jpg

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
seat post finally made it to the house.............black pedals en route.............

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
seatpost is a bust....."aero" part too long and won't go down far enough for my height and it says 31.6 but is more like 31.4 and not gonna be bothered by it migrating even if it did fit my height. 350mm and might be a tiny bit lighter than the oem 400mm post. F it........done, staying how it is other than the better black pedals. Kinda rather have the Bontrager parts on it anyway.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
uh-oh....$17.20 GX Eagle x-sync 2 12 spd cranks fixin to meet up with my 11 spd x-sync chainring.......couldn't pass them up. yes, boost spacing..........banking $17.20 on the direct mount for x-sync & x-sync2 being the same. Looks like it from sram site and other associated stuff I saw on the net........

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Side stepping a possible issue with rear hub I've read about in a coupla places.......with these.......Hope Pro 4's.............

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
Side stepping a possible issue with rear hub I've read about in a coupla places.......with these.......Hope Pro 4's.............

Nice hubs but what's up with the Bontrager hubs? Nothing like the issue Zipp had with their hubs is it?

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Nice hubs but what's up with the Bontrager hubs? Nothing like the issue Zipp had with their hubs is it?
I 've read a couple of reviews about something getting loose where the rear wheel has slop in it like bearing races not tight. I have a tiny bit of that and have been wondering what it could be since bontrager hubs have sealed bearings, not cup and loose balls. Guy said it happened like 3 times before it broke. Not sure what broke and what exactly won't stay tight. I am going to pull rr wheel and check it out some more. All I have done so far was take wheel off and then put back with QR tighter but seems tiny bit of slop still there. Not getting worse, just annoying because it knocks around like if your headset was loose. I can get stuff at cost thru my brother in law so will be like $200 for the pair of Hopes instead of closer to $300. Then I will have him build the wheel back with better spokes, maybe green nipples, new tubeless strips and whatever juice needs to ride around in there. He has the ERD of 606 for the Duroc 50 rims and rest is cake. Not really wanting to do this but end result will be worth it.

Here is one of the reviews I ran across from 10 days ago that concerns me.......................

"I have been driving the bike half of the summer season and rest of the season it has been under warranty repair at the bike shop. The rear hub is not going to hold up normal driving. Gets loose all the time and the bike shop repaired three times already and I did the same countless times. Totally busted the hub now. I would give 5 stars for the bike easily but because of rear hub problem only 3 stars rating. My previous bike was the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29er. I wanted the same kind of bike without the rear suspension and succeed! This bike rules! Positives: Great bike, maybe the best driving experience and very good component set! Except the rear hub is not going to hold up (threaded design get loose, I think it's design fault). Negatives: Rear hub problem. I'm still waiting parts and which I needed to buy. Not covered by warranty. I have spend already 300€ fort the extra parts and still waiting. Beware of the rear hub problem. I'm going to change to the DT Swiss design. New hub, new wheel build etc."

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Ok, sigh and shagrin, that dude must not have understood how to lock down the axle with proper side load. There is locknut setup on one side with thin wrench access to get locked down right. I had to remove rotor to get straight shot at the inner slot. Presto, no play, rolls free and locked down to stay that way.

I betting that reviewer ended up just tightening up the locknut with too much side load on bearings so wheel had no play so tight that it burned up the bearings. Yes it will keep coming loose if not set and locked properly.

Still getting the Hope hubs but looks like the wheel rebuild can hold off for awhile.......

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I was about to post and message you how to do that. Takes a spanner wrench on the non drive and just cinch it down. You can't within reason really over tighten it because it doesn't put pressure on the bearings. In other words lock it down tight and it will still spin free and easy without the side to side play.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
it can get too tight. while checking it out i just tightened from both sides and it did lock down on the bearings where wheel wouldn't spin freely. it has to be set just right and then locked with the silver cap nut thing that fills in between frame and adjuster nut on non drive side. need 2 wrenches ......thin 19mm and another 19 on same side to lock it in place. just like locking down bearing races on standard bolt on axle wheels.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Coupla little 12t ceramic accents..............
20170926_034557.jpg
20170926_034628.jpg

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Also turned the 10spd into the 11 spd it was born to be............a little tweak on the limit screw and twist back on the shifter cable adjuster and viola, 11 spd. Not sure how I missed this until now. Might not have noticed for awhile unless changing the pulleys out.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Tracking on this says out for delivery today.....yay! Know what I'll be doing tonight so it'll be squared away for some fall weather to ride in come this wknd.......................

Yes, I know xsync2 = 12 spd......will be swapping over my nice xsync 11 spd chainring. It'll be the cranks above with chainring below............

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
30 minutes from box on porch to hammering around on a test ride but that also included topping off the tires to 20lbs. Worked perfect & a little lighter.

Attachments

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
carbon goody for rr derailleur.........

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
WTB Ranger 29x3.0 120 TPI may be next set of tires whenever those become necessary. Look to have more knobs and twice the TPI as the Chupacabras and $63 a piece and are tubeless ready............read some good reviews on them too.

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Looks like you're really having fun customizing this ride. I'm running 2.8 on my DB and can go to 3.0. however I might try 2.6 when my tires wear out. I like a firmer feel.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Looks like you're really having fun customizing this ride. I'm running 2.8 on my DB and can go to 3.0. however I might try 2.6 when my tires wear out. I like a firmer feel.
These tires at just 20psi don't have any of that wallow feel. I love the steamroller effect of them. I have taken it out to some good tight twisty singletrack and other than consciously focusing on your line and keeping this beast from straying, it rides pretty much just like any of my other offroad bikes. Only thing I notice trying to flick it about like my other bikes is the weight when it comes to bunny hopping things or catching air. I like it because when I get on a normal sized bike like my AnthemX 29er with tiny 2.3s I feel like superman because of how it handles and flies so much easier. This bike will be my "training" bike so I can cut loose like a madman on any of my other bikes. But this one is still so much fun too.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts