Two Spoke Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
This....to keep carbon seatpost where I want it to stay.........

carbon seatpost didn't stay in place.....so it went away and oem Bontrager won out

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
This one is + and is still practical. I can ride it anywhere and any way I can ride my other 29er. Just a bit heavier for air shenanigans but clears sandy stuff much better. I wouldn't how to act on an actual fat bike with 5.0 tires, lol. Everything else seems like road tires in comparison to the 3.0s. I can only imagine going to 5.0s, that would really actually feel like steam roller. This bike kinda kills me thinkin about a fat bike because it is fat compared to the rest of mine and it is actually a go between of normal and fat and still very practical other than wearing down $63 each tires on anything other than offroad. They do make a crazy addictive whirring sound on pavement tho.

·
Old, fat, and slow
883 Posts
I kind of knew this would come up but i wanted to keep my post short.

A.) I meant "practical for me." Obviously you are getting a ton of use out of yours.

B.) I realize it is (I think I realize it is) a 27.5 plus or whatever silly thing they call that silly class of silly things---Not a full on 4-5-inch Fat Bike®

I cannot comment on how much difference the extra fatness would make .... but I have a beautiful F/S 26x2.1 MTB hanging in my garage, waiting for me to rehab enough to be able to ride it properly. Between my work hours almost doubling and my exercise interest flagging ( i can barely find time to ride my road bike, let alone drive to a trail so I can reinjure all my old injuries) it is hard to justify even thinking about another off-road bike ... but you do make it sound appealing.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
This one is 29+ (29x3.0 w/50mm rims)

The beast of the east canondale in the other thread is 27.5+ which are usually 27.5x2.8 or 3.0 w/45mm rims)

I was just using practical in general from a most person standpoint.

I hear ya on free time to ride being slim to none. But I kinda go the opposite way as far as having a beautiful road bike hanging in the garage and a new gravel bike in the breakfast room getting very little play because when I do force in ride time I am craving the dirt and jumping and climbing and intervaling around the place all hectic-like. I do build up cravings for some LSD gravel bike rides so I am not stuck riding in the road only as well as some group ride action with the LBS around the corner on the road bike. I don't ride in the road unless group rides. Any riding is better than none tho, which is why I started rutting in a trail system in the back yard. Just grab a pr of flipflops and go out the back door and hop on and make laps around the yard...day or night, regardless of weather. That's my lazy rides because no prep or even proper attire required, no hydration needs and my little dogs can follow me around and get some exercise too. 1/10th of a mile loop with some turnarounds on either end to be able to do different loops.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Plus tyred bikes are a lot of fun in a lot of conditions. If the geometry is right they climb well and then can handle rough downhill because of the ability to run low tyre pressures.
Haven't ridden a fat bike yet so can't comment on them. Bet they are fun though.

·
100 Posts
plus are fun fun fun....

i went out today to try the BOTE and it ws FUN!!!
i havent get the right psi on the tires, both on 18 and a little bouncy, need to try on 15 next time. not in a good shape and i think i did pretty good, better than my first time on my 26 full suspension turner flux.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1240755513

sorry, didnt mean to hijack your thread il2ride :(

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
no hijack taken........ I've hijacked it a coupla times myself already. :D

I consider the "+" in bike designations to mean extra fun, whether 27.5 or 29.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Got my parts box from Manitou via LBS to do the fork upgrade whenever rebuild becomes necessary........if I can wait that long. Probably won't be able to wait and go ahead and do the upgrade/rebuild sometime in near future.............ahhh, the blurred lines of recent past/now/near future.

Reactions: cwtch

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Wow, been awhile since updating this thread.....will catch it up with complete list of what has been done to get it to it's current state of fabulousness after I get back from church....see ya

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
OK, let's cap this longterm score/upgrade/build thread...............this is what has been changed/done since acquiring the bike from cwtch in 2017....some of it along the way and suspension/brakes/chain/fork/tires very recently. Sat on that fork upgrade getting use from the perfectly nice fork for over 3 yrs, lol. Was time to use the parts with all the other stuff being done this year. Made a great fork even better! I dialed it in for me and it is stellar...comparable to the Push rebuild of the Fox on the Anthem X. Multiple useful settings now vs one before.

Drivetrain
  • SRAM PC1130 chain
  • SRAM GX black 12spd cranks
  • SRAM Eagle black 11spd chainring
  • Gates Fyxation black slim flat pedals
  • Wheels Mfg black angular contact Enduro Bearing PF86 press fit thread together bottom bracket
  • Ceramic sealed bearing derailleur pulleys - black/green
  • 20170927_193227.jpg
    20170926_034557.jpg

Cockpit
  • OEM 760mm bars trimmed to 730mm
  • Carbon Fiber stem spacers
  • Carbon Fiber stem cap
  • Oury black lock-on grips
  • fi'zi:k Alliante VS gloss/matte black saddle
  • fi'zi:k saddle bag
  • side entry bottle cage
20170824_222715.jpg