Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
That's horrible, but it seems a bit of a leap to say they shouldn't have been riding. If they were making good use of lights and reflective material (vests, reflectors, etc.) there's not much reason darkness should keep them unseen (I generally feel more seen at night, with flashing lights causing cars to slow from 1/4 mile away). The blog post doesn't make clear why the van didn't see them (drunk, asleep, texting, etc.). Unfortunately, cyclists, motorists, pedestrians sometimes get killed, day or night, by negligent motorists -- unless there are specific facts that warrant it, I'd hate to start saying they shouldn't be there (biking, driving, or walking).

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Tragic. My condolences to the families and friends of these homicide victims. I hope they will be spared from hearing your ignorant comments.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tragic. My condolences to the families and friends of these homicide victims. I hope they will be spared from hearing your ignorant comments.
I wouldn't say ignorant - I've ridden at night for years now. I said that I wouldn't run along a road I'd never ridden, not at night with no understanding of conditions or traffic.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Would you prefer despicable? Ill-considered? Heartless? Lacking in compassion and common sense?

A well prepared cyclist should be able to ride an unknown road at night without being killed. I doubt very strongly that the riders were at fault here. As BeginnerCycling stated bicyclists can be asa visible at night than during the day.

Cars kill bicyclists in the daytime too. On streets that the cyclists knew well. And there's always seems to be some jerk willing to chastise the departed. Shame on you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Furthermore, regardless of your chest-beating, professional mourner antics, what I say STILL holds - "In my opinion", I would not ride on a road I don't know at night. Regrettable that they died, yes, but I still think it was wrong.

Be as reckless as you want. Be as insulting as you want. But you're still wrong, and you're still a blowhard.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Name-calling is not often productive, whether initiating it or responding with it. People are dead, and I don't think we have enough facts to blame the victims or say they shouldn't have been riding. Not sure why you would want to do that unless stirring up controversy was the point. The original post did say "Maybe I'm a *****", so perhaps the OP shouldn't be offended when some people agree with that statement. Ride safely, everyone!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I am sorry I insulted you Robert. I may be a blowhard, but I am not wrong. At least I don't think so. It's very unusual to start a thread like this without a link to a press account of the incident. I'm completely in the dark concerning the details. Nothing you have written convinces me these Christian missionaries deserved to die.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll admit I came across as brusk in my original accessment. I don't mean to make light of the dead - getting struck by a car is a horrible end (as every cyclist can well imagine). As a cycle-commuter (who has to ride in the dark every so often), it frustrates me as much as everyone else that we who embrace clean transport have to put our lives on the line to do it.

From what I can tell in the article, it said that they were between the stripe and the edge of the road, meaning (I assume this was a rural road) that this was some sort of break-down lane. In other words, there was plenty of room. How a motorist managed to stray that far over, to hit three people with lights and reflectors, might not be homicide but its pretty damn close.

Back when I used to fly, the magazines would always have pieces about pilots who would get killed attempting flights when they were tired, or going to difficult airports at night, or flying under less-than-optimal conditions. In this, cycling is the same thing - before attempting a ride, the cyclist should take a moment to consider the risks before pushing off. And that was my primary point - that they probably should have stuck at their first room rather than press on. That was my opinion, and personally, I'd maintain it. I wouldn't ride an unknown road at night. But that's my call.

I appolgize for losing my temper on this.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I don't know where in GA the accident happened, but at least the top third of the state is home to some of the worst drivers in the country. In the Atlanta area alone in the last two months I know of 3 separate instances where cyclists have been hit by cars and two of those guys are no longer with us. And that was during daylight hours.

Just yesterday a lady ran into the back of a motorcycle cop. He was thrown up onto the hood of her car. She slammed the car into reverse which caused the cop to roll off her hood and she fled the scene. Luckily she was caught a couple blocks away. The cop suffered two broken legs and some other damage. If I were ruler of the world, we'd have a public stoning for people that pull crap like that.

These are the people I have to share the road with, which is why I spend most of my time on the bike trails (at least we have nice ones). I agree that the cyclists mentioned in the above thread had every right to be out on the road at night, but if they had known what I know, I think they would have stayed where they were.

I'd love to be able to commute to work. It's only a 20 mile ride, but I know within a month I'd be either killed or seriously injured by someone looking at their smartphones, or reading the paper or one of the many other stupid things I see people doing in traffic.

Okay... I'm ff my soapbox.

OMG...My wife's right... I really do get grumpy when I don't get to ride enough, and I haven't ridden enough this week.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
If a driver of a car can run into a police car with the lights on how could any one think thay are safe, How many times have you seen on the news a police car get hit with his lights on, it happens a lot, nubeliveable

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Here is a link to the article: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-05-05/news/os-sanford-bicyclists-killed-georgia-20120505_1_bicycles-sanford-pregnancy-center
As the three men cycled through rural Georgia about 10 p.m. on April 26, a van hit them from the rear. Hunt {ed: one of the cyclists} told the Georgia State Patrol that they were riding along the right edge of U.S. Highway 17, between the white line and the shoulder.

A trooper said they had plenty of lights and reflective gear on their bicycles and helmets. The driver of the van said he did not see the bicycles, a crash report shows.
The reporter writes "they were riding along the right edge of U.S. Highway 17, between the white line and the shoulder." That is an unfortunate phrase in that the pavement to the right of the white fog line is the shoulder. In any case, it sounds like the cyclists were doing everything right.

I wonder if a traffic ticket is going to be issued. What happens to a GA auto driver who hits a car parked on the shoulder? If nothing else, the van driver did violate the GA minimum three foot passing law. And that "I Didn't see them" line is a confession, not an excuse.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Wow, they were going along the Georgia coast line. Hwy 17 runs parallel to Interstate 95 (that runs up the east coast). Back in March I spent a couple days in the same general area on the GA coast at Jekyll Island and thought to myself that it would be an awesome place to do some touring. I love the marshlands. I guess we're not safe anywhere.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
If a driver of a car can run into a police car with the lights on how could any one think thay are safe, How many times have you seen on the news a police car get hit with his lights on, it happens a lot, nubeliveable
If you stare on an object long enough, other objects in your peripheral vision start to disappear. When the background appears to be moving, as when driving, it's called motion induced blindness. The only way to avoid it is to keep your eyes moving by blinking or scanning. An excellent demo of the effect is at the Motorcycle Safety Foundation web site: http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

Motion induced blindness may be one reason car drivers say they don't see cyclists in crashes. Fixating their vision on something ahead causes things in their peripheral vision, such as a cyclist on the far right, to disappear. That is still not an excuse for hitting the cyclist. The driver is still responsible to be aware their surroundings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts