Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum has almost everything a new or experienced biker can ever need - from two wheels to three wheels - from road to MTB - entertainment - fitness advice - is there a chance it could have an integrated app that could be used to log miles, calculate calories etc ?

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
That would be pretty awesome. I do believe that would be quite an undertaking with software development and infrastructure.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I for one would like an accurate calorie estimator - I log my miles on Garmin Connect thru my IPHONE but spend all my time here

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
A Twospke leader board :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
I have to agree with Voxy on that one. I know of one other cycling site that does the mileage logging and I'm 99.9 % sure it's not Vbulletn based.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like the mythical tour de yellow bracelet - racing against each other in different states and climates - I for one never want to ride in the middle of the summer in Fla again - all Florida riders are studs in my opinion

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
Something like that omni :) I'm trying to stay on my best behavior :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
- all Florida riders are studs in my opinion
It aint all that! Ya just gota keep moving and keep the air flowing over your skin :) Now Arizona, Texas, with there blistering heat and winds in the plains of Texas. I ride with my dad in Plano and the wind SUX there :)

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I like friendly competition, bragging rights, ect, as long as it doesn't get out of hand or negatively effect other people. Think the NBC was pushing us all in a good way, perhaps a leader-board could as well.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I like the leader board idea, but at what criteria? 396 miles on flat land is great, but I bet 100 on 100 in Vermont would be significant;y more difficult to achieve.

I have found that leader boards also have a negative impact on people. If someone with a different set of obligations/priorities cannot ride as often as others, their mileage should be respected as quality time on the bike. There was a period of time where if I get 10 miles a month in, it was great, but a friend of mine would churn 250 a week. So, different strokes for different folks.

I think for a select group, it'd be a great idea. I just don't want to constantly see that Xela guy up at the top. . .of both the leaderboard AND the hill.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
kneedrachen said:
I like the leader board idea, but at what criteria? 396 miles on flat land is great, but I bet 100 on 100 in Vermont would be significant;y more difficult to achieve.

I have found that leader boards also have a negative impact on people. If someone with a different set of obligations/priorities cannot ride as often as others, their mileage should be respected as quality time on the bike. There was a period of time where if I get 10 miles a month in, it was great, but a friend of mine would churn 250 a week. So, different strokes for different folks.

I think for a select group, it'd be a great idea. I just don't want to constantly see that Xela guy up at the top. . .of both the leaderboard AND the hill.
Catagories or regions?

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
I'm kinda with knee on this. While it may give some people encouragement to get out and ride or ride more often, it may also discourage some who feel that they can't keep up with those that have a greater opportunity to ride more often. Overall, I think that it's a good idea, but I would be curious as to what criteria would be used to display the rider's results.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never thought of it as a leader board or even something that would be shared - my hill-less trails are definitely not on par with some of the high elevation rides or rides in Fla in the humidity

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yep, knee hit the nail on the head! I am not a real distance rider...yet. It is intimidating to see some of the posts from you guys who are riding a whole lot more miles per ride than I am. But, I look at that is an inspiration for me to do better, not to crawl under a rock somewhere.

Would it be thinkable to have the "leader board" reflect a rider's improvement over his/her previous time/distance/speed, whatever? That way, it would seem that we are competing with ourselves rather than us wimps competing against the pros. Just a thought.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, knee hit the nail on the head! I am not a real distance rider...yet. It is intimidating to see some of the posts from you guys who are riding a whole lot more miles per ride than I am. But, I look at that is an inspiration for me to do better, not to crawl under a rock somewhere.

Would it be thinkable to have the "leader board" reflect a rider's improvement over his/her previous time/distance/speed, whatever? That way, it would seem that we are competing with ourselves rather than us wimps competing against the pros. Just a thought.
I like that idea also - last week I rode with a MTB'r - she kicked our butt - but improved our average by 1mph average - and we felt it for days - I don't compete like some on this site but I do compete with my self & my bike computer

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
You would need some type of handicap system like in bowling to even out the field.

Then once you figured out some fair system the Mod's would have their hands full with all the griping. They have a tough enough job now imagine once all the ego's are hurt.

Plenty of other sites offering smart phone apps that do all of this.

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
You would need some type of handicap system like in bowling to even out the field.

Then once you figured out some fair system the Mod's would have their hands full with all the griping. They have a tough enough job now imagine once all the ego's are hurt.

Plenty of other sites offering smart phone apps that do all of this.
Case closed, we may now close the thread, adjourned !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts