Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I don't belong here. I'm young, vibrant and good looking (not compared to Xela, though. He's hawt). I don't suffer from ED nor CRS (Can't Remember Sh!t) like some of you here.

Okay now that we have that out of the way...

My father is 62, and has been a heart patient since he was 7 years old. Health issues have plagued him his entire life, including more surgeries than I can bother to count since around 2004. I was fortunate enough to be stationed @ the hospital he was in multiple times to spend time with him during my shift and between calls.

A few years ago, he and his wife purchased leftover rental hybrids from a small shop up in Rhode Island. They would ride every once in a blue moon but she stopped due to her MS worsening. My father hung up his bike as well as he didn't want to ride alone.

I've been telling him how I've lost a lot of weight in the past few weeks since I'm riding regularly now that I am able to after my surgery. I've mentioned how this forum exists and how age is mind over matter. I spoke to him 2 days ago and he said "You know, Alex, I'm going to start riding my bike again. I need to get in shape, get outside and relax." We spoke about bike maintenance, diet, etc.

I think the fact this forum exists and he isn't alone at his age to ride had sparked something in him. I hope to ride with him soon when I get back to NJ.

You all deserve a pat on the back and my thanks. You're giving me more time with my father becasue he'll be in better shape physically and emotionally.

Hats (and helmets) off to you.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
(not compared to Xela, though. He's hawt).
I :D'd at this.

I've been telling him how I've lost a lot of weight in the past few weeks since I'm riding regularly now that I am able to after my surgery. I've mentioned how this forum exists and how age is mind over matter. I spoke to him 2 days ago and he said "You know, Alex, I'm going to start riding my bike again. I need to get in shape, get outside and relax." We spoke about bike maintenance, diet, etc.

I think the fact this forum exists and he isn't alone at his age to ride had sparked something in him. I hope to ride with him soon when I get back to NJ.

You all deserve a pat on the back and my thanks. You're giving me more time with my father becasue he'll be in better shape physically and emotionally.

Hats (and helmets) off to you.
And give this a big :thumbsup:!

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I didn't start riding again until I was 63 and most likely would have never done it had it not been for my wife getting me a bike for my birthday. Now, I can't see myself doing anything else. We all need a push, at times, to get us started and/or motivated. Best wishes to your dad and hope he continues this time.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Alright, I don't belong here. I'm young, vibrant and good looking (not compared to Xela, though. He's hawt). I don't suffer from ED nor CRS (Can't Remember Sh!t) like some of you here.

Okay now that we have that out of the way...
Get off my lawn! :mad:

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,170 Posts
John_V said:
I didn't start riding again until I was 63 and most likely would have never done it had it not been for my wife getting me a bike for my birthday. Now, I can't see myself doing anything else. We all need a push, at times, to get us started and/or motivated. Best wishes to your dad and hope he continues this time.
Except for the age (I'm too young to be here), John's statement applies perfectly to me. We ALL need a push at one time or another. Kudos to all those who felt their push in whatever way it came and ran with it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts