Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Two skinny J's
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know, probably against his wishes, that one of our own @John_V has been MIA for serval months now.

I would ask at this time that you not reach out to him as he does not have the capacity to respond right now. His wife is acting as a messenger right now but felt I should let the TwoSpoke community know for those that may have been wondering.

After 2 week of not seeing him post a ride in Strava, and he was very dedicated at hsi 40 mile loops, and no posts here I reached out to him via Facebook messenger.

To say that I was shocked when I got a repose from his wife when I first messaged him would be an understatement.

John had acute stroke March 18th. I was shocked to hear this. I know he had posted of being tired and some other small health issues but thought be was coming around.

Not to mix words I am just going to copy and paste Gale's( Johns wife) first response to me when I inquired.

Hi Jeff, this is John鈥檚 wife Gale, John had an Acute stroke on the 18th of this month. Right now he cannot speak, but can make sounds, his right side is several affected but gradually getting feeling in it. He is to be transferred to a rehab center today for 2 weeks to get strength back then to TGH Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation for another 2 weeks. He ask that you not post this on social media please or Strava for now. You can contact John if you like as I am now the keeper of 2 phones. Thank you for reaching out to him.

I have respected his request not to post this until now but I feel it's time to let everyone know. His wife has included me in, in so far as I can tell, a family group txt I get regular updates.

To say that his progress has been slow and difficult is an understatement.

It's a bummer to see such a busy, active man put in such a bad way.

I received this from Gale Friday along with a couple of phots that I won't post

Good evening everyone. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day.
John is making progress, as this week he was actually moving his own right leg when walking 馃憦 They are working on moving from one chair to another chair, turning around and backing up to the chair then sitting down. The chairs are approximately 6 ft apart. They work on approaching from different angles.
This past Fri they had a barbecue for the residents celebrating Memorial Day. They had decirationed the tanker, played music and even had hats. They served hamburgers on a bun with cheese and a slice of tomatoes, potato salad cokes and watermelon for dessert.

I took some pictures.

Jeff

Good morning everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know, probably against his wishes, that one of our own @John_V has been MIA for serval months now.

I would ask at this time that you not reach out to him as he does not have the capacity to respond right now. His wife is acting as a messenger right now but felt I should let the TwoSpoke community know for those that may have been wondering.

After 2 week of not seeing him post a ride in Strava, and he was very dedicated at hsi 40 mile loops, and no posts here I reached out to him via Facebook messenger.

To say that I was shocked when I got a repose from his wife when I first messaged him would be an understatement.

John had acute stroke March 18th. I was shocked to hear this. I know he had posted of being tired and some other small health issues but thought be was coming around.

Not to mix words I am just going to copy and paste Gale's( Johns wife) first response to me when I inquired.

Hi Jeff, this is John鈥檚 wife Gale, John had an Acute stroke on the 18th of this month. Right now he cannot speak, but can make sounds, his right side is several affected but gradually getting feeling in it. He is to be transferred to a rehab center today for 2 weeks to get strength back then to TGH Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation for another 2 weeks. He ask that you not post this on social media please or Strava for now. You can contact John if you like as I am now the keeper of 2 phones. Thank you for reaching out to him.

I have respected his request not to post this until now but I feel it's time to let everyone know. His wife has included me in, in so far as I can tell, a family group txt I get regular updates.

To say that his progress has been slow and difficult is an understatement.

It's a bummer to see such a busy, active man put in such a bad way.

I received this from Gale Friday along with a couple of phots that I won't post

Good evening everyone. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day.
John is making progress, as this week he was actually moving his own right leg when walking 馃憦 They are working on moving from one chair to another chair, turning around and backing up to the chair then sitting down. The chairs are approximately 6 ft apart. They work on approaching from different angles.
This past Fri they had a barbecue for the residents celebrating Memorial Day. They had decirationed the tanker, played music and even had hats. They served hamburgers on a bun with cheese and a slice of tomatoes, potato salad cokes and watermelon for dessert.

I took some pictures.

Jeff
[/QUOTE
I thought something was up. Thanks for letting us know. Sounds like he鈥檚 making a recovery. Maybe his fitness going in to this will help with the rehab. Tough news to hear.

Old, fat, and slow
That's crazy. He practically kept the "Did you ride today" thread alive ..... but i really didn't notice when he stopped posting. He had slowed down a little with minor health issues .... just, Wow.

I am glad he has someone dedicated to his care and recovery.

If you speak/email/text again with his wife, please let her know that his online cycling team has nothing but positive thoughts for him.

Two skinny J's
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's crazy. He practically kept the "Did you ride today" thread alive ..... but i really didn't notice when he stopped posting. He had slowed down a little with minor health issues .... just, Wow.

I am glad he has someone dedicated to his care and recovery.

If you speak/email/text again with his wife, please let her know that his online cycling team has nothing but positive thoughts for him.
I absolutely will. I'm sure that he will appreciate it after he gets done being mad at me :D

Reactions: Dos_Ruedas

Deranged Touring Cyclist
What terrible news, though I'm glad he's alive and recovering. Best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery to one of the site's pillar members.

Registered
That's so terrible. Sending him wishes that he can continue to recover. Life is not fair.

I may never have had the pleasure of meeting the man, but one thing I know about John_V is that he's tough as nails. If there's any coming back from this, he'll [email protected] well do it. Respect and hope.

Two skinny J's
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Two skinny J's
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From Gale

Hi everyone, sorry I gave not posted an update on John.
The Rehab tried a brace on his right foot to help him pick up his foot when walking and it helps 馃憤馃徎. He will be fitted for one, the brace will be behind his calf, down over his heel and up to his trust before his toes and will be made of some type of plastic.
They are working on walking with a one sided walker, transferring from chair to chair from different directions then turning right or left to sit down.
His speech is still the same but they succeed in getting him to swallow a pill (the same size as his chemo medication), so they are going to contact oncologist and see if he can start his medicine. We will see, as next week it will be 3 months without it.
He is now eating regular food now, hurray!!

Two skinny J's
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would anybody be interested in sending John a card from his friends here at T/S. I'd be happy to buy a card we could mail to members to sign and say something if you felt comfortable with that. Yea or ney ?

Two skinny J's
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like John is making slow, steady progress.
Very slow it seems. I can't help but wonder had he not been as fit, would it/could it have been worse or does that not matter in the case of a stroke?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts