Two Spoke Forums banner

Keep it open or call it a good day?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm considering speaking with the site owner, and it's 100% their decision, but I really can't see much justification for keeping this site up, open and running. There's more traffic in bots and spammers that I have to delete every day than it's really become worth.

Can anymore give me good reason not to pursue this path? I know there is less than a handful of people anymore that even drop in. I really hate to see as this used to be a busy and vibrant place to be, very disappointing.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I don’t think that I can justify disagreeing with you. I have been trying to think of ways to keep this site going but haven’t had much success. I have talked with a lot of cyclist at Flatwoods about this site but i haven’t seen anyone joining. It seems like the only site they’re interested in is Strava.

·
Maturity Challenged
1,140 Posts
This is the first site I look at every morning and easy to read because it doesn't have a massive amount of useless posts mixed in with the good stuff. It's the only site in my favorites list that isn't filled with political crap.

I would be very disappointed to see it go away.

I have met or talked to several great people from this forum that I call friends.

Two Spoke doesn't get much use at this time, but it is literally the only place I draw inspiration from to continue riding my bikes, not to mention keeping my local bike shops in business.

I appreciate the amount of work it takes the admins and mods to keep Two Spoke going. If it does go away I will simply add it to the growing list of life's pleasures and history that have been lost the last couple years.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've tried to get people local to me to join but I have a local group on Facebook that people prefer to use, it seems.

Unfortunately, I agree with you Rola. Across the board it can be hard to keep individual independent forums alive, with everyone using social platforms instead.

It sucks, this was the nicest forum I've ever been on and I've been on a lot starting from my BBS days in the 80's.

If shut down we could still at least keep in touch on the Strava club, or set up a private Facebook group or something.

·
Old, fat, and slow
740 Posts
One reason not many people post here is that the people who do post here don't post crap or try to stir up arguments.

Other sites get tons of traffic but most of what they post, i skip because it is always the same old senseless debates, except when there are new, even more ridiculous arguments.

I can come here and read posts buy people I wouldn't even want to argue with.

I understand fully that doing a ton of work for the six or twelve people who post .... but think: You would never again read about John_V or Sprocket Girl.

Is That an acceptable loss? :D

Anyway ... if it is easier, sure make a Two-Spoke Not-Yet-Censored Facebook Group or something ... less load on you, and we can still see the same people's posts .... go for it if it improves your life. After all, the site improves my life, so why wouldn't I want to share that?

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
maelochs said:
.... Other sites get tons of traffic but most of what they post, i skip because it is always the same old senseless debates, except when there are new, even more ridiculous arguments.
It's why I really love this site. There's none of that going on. On the other site, that we don't mention here, there's a post in the General Cycling section where a guy posted that he got some really cool, colored aluminum valve stem caps. Well, 130 posts later, they're still arguing about the pros and cons of valve stem caps. Really? Some of those posts are pretty down right nasty.

However, like Rola, I have watched the decline in uses on this site and really hate to see it go. Maybe the owners will refuse to close it down and give us a shot at getting more uses to this forum.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Good point in your last line John_V - maybe we can brainstorm some ideas to pull in some others before any final decision is made.

I ran the most popular forum in my area (and the first) and for a number of years it was absolutely crazy how traffic came through, it was THE place for people online to come, but it slowly declined and no matter what any of us did we couldn't save it due to the influence and attractiveness of using Facebook and others.

I've always thought that a way of integrating Facebook pages or groups into an external site in some hybrid discussion form could help but Facebook's privacy and developer tools don't make it very easily done, if at all.

Though giving people the ability to join/register/login using Facebook credentials and/or a Google account might make it more desirable and quicker to get into it for some.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
So I'm considering speaking with the site owner, and it's 100% their decision, but I really can't see much justification for keeping this site up, open and running. There's more traffic in bots and spammers that I have to delete every day than it's really become worth.

Can anymore give me good reason not to pursue this path? I know there is less than a handful of people anymore that even drop in. I really hate to see as this used to be a busy and vibrant place to be, very disappointing.
Can’t agree more Mr Rola. Seems like a buncha weird folks round here.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
We noticed TS struggling a few years back.
I printed a few fliers for LBSs to post, thinking the problem is that cyclists just don’t know about TS.
After all, I found it purely by accident, when i was searching the App Store for cycling apps many moons ago.
To the best of my knowledge, no new cyclists from WV have joined.

Winter is usually even worse for my attendance, because i don’t ride as often and my mind isn’t as focused on cycling (calling psychiatrist now).

I would like to point out that we have had a few new members lately.
Unfortunately, after a few days, it seems like each of them have fallen to the wayside. ☹

My job forces me to live a solitary life amongst the crowds. There aren’t a bunch of cyclists to hang out with and my hours generally don’t fit anyone else’s. The two closest cycling clubs are ~35 & 45 miles away. I’d rather ride than spend my time driving to meet them.

I said this the last time this subject came up.
TS has been MY bicycling family for many years. I understand if it fades into the sunset but I’ll sure miss the friendly banter and more so the friends i feel I’ve made here.
Shoot! Even Nigal, whom i haven’t seen here for ages, put a huge smile on my face when i saw his post. I flashed back to countless sarcasm filled comments.

The occasional pop in from Sprocket Girl is quite literally a highlight of my day every time. (You have a gift young lady, use it!!)
Picking on John’s hill trailing and reading jokes posted and adult beverage sharing and cycling tips and actually meeting rola & ?? for beers and lunch in a cool pub, and planning get together rides (sadly not to fruition) and, and, and...... well.

My point is. I have family here and I quite literally have welcomed each of you to my home or state to ride.

Yep.
My cycling family and proud to be part of it.
If we disband, i hope there’s another way to keep in touch somewhat regularly.
Cheers

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
1,804 Posts
I’m as guilty as anyone of not contributing much. I run hot and cold on two other bike forums also, The Paceline as Merlincustom1 and Velocipede Salon as PDAR. I lurk more than post. The vibe here is pleasant. I’d miss this place if it goes down. I’m on Strava as Bud Seitzinger. Happy trails everyone.

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m as guilty as anyone of not contributing much. I run hot and cold on two other bike forums also, The Paceline as Merlincustom1 and Velocipede Salon as PDAR. I lurk more than post. The vibe here is pleasant. I’d miss this place if it goes down. I’m on Strava as Bud Seitzinger. Happy trails everyone.
Request submitted :D

Reactions: fpl1 and John_V

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not one vote :D I guess I'll just keep deleting the spammers for a while longer. I'm really trying to limit my time in dysfunctional hate land (aka as Facebook) so this is a good as place as any to land!

·
tall old member
1,300 Posts
I really enjoy this forum and especially sprocket girl. I have hardly posted this past year or so because I haven’t rode my bikes. I’m the primary care giver for my wife and can’t leave her to go ride a bike. Her life is winding down now and I am about to lose her. She hasn’t eaten for a week and can’t seem to make the remote for her hospital bed work or work her iPhone to call me if she needs me. I hope to get back to riding this year.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
I could do better on here as far as posting goes. I do enjoy reading posts and knowing everyone is still at it.

It would be cool to get a slightly greater number to generate more posts. That said, like others stated it is nice to not have the troll argue this and that threads. Those are why I never post on two other large forums I belong to.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts