1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Show me a law that changes people's behavior. Utah has no law against texting or talking on the phone while driving, so far as I am aware. But they have laws against distracted driving. I know this, because my daughter has a letter from some politician she wrote to about this.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It honestly worries me more on the job than riding. There is no worse feeling than being 40ft in the air watching a car come straight at you knowing you can never move a bucket fastest enough to get away from a pole. I always figured, maybe wrongly so, if I get hit from behind while riding by a distractted driver...chances are I would never know it. I have had several people I work with that have been hit this way. Flashing lights are like magnets or light to a month, people are just drawn to it!The have been lucky so far.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,138 Posts
Wow. Must be a real kick in the pants to have your son's killer let off entirely thanks to a law intended to prevent the behavior that caused the accident.

·
Seasider
451 Posts
In the Uk there are strong laws against mobile phone use whilst driving. But like a number things in the modern age, laws are only as useful as to the extent that they ae policed. I am sure we all see on a daily basis people driving and using the phone. Of course this does sadly end in some cases, in tragedy. We seem to have a society that does believe the only crime is to be caught, and if a person wants to do something dangerous or antisocial because it fulfils their desire at that moment in time, tough luck on everyone else. Sad:hate:

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couldn't have said it any better Bongo !

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,138 Posts
It's funny, but laws banning phone use while driving are some of the few 'activity ban' laws I actually support. Unlike seatbelt or helmet laws, I feel banning the use of a phone while driving can evenually impact public safety. How? Simple: though tragic, it really means nothing to me if you bash your brains out on the pavement because you chose to ride helmet-less and wrecked. Ditto for injuries resulting from refraining to use a seatbelt.

Provided you're an adult, I believe you should get to choose for yourself...and live with the consequences of your choice. When it comes to others' use of seatbelts and helmets, my safety while using the same roads as them remains unaffected whether those others are helmeted/seat-belted or not. As a result, so far as I am concerned, the choice belongs solely to the individual. I don't care whether or how you, as an adult, choose to endanger yourself. It isn't any of my business.

If, on the other hand, I am hit by someone who is busy updating FB behind the wheel, I am affected. Unhappily. I may be hurt or killed, and will almost certainly sustain property damage. None of those outcomes, especially my premature death, are worth you or anyone else getting to check your messages now instead of waiting until after you've parked your multi-ton guided missile. It's bad enough to have to share the road with active phone users while in my CAR, to say nothing of bicycles. Too many close calls in the car. It may be there's a reason my bicycle and I mostly ride MUPs.

As the old saying goes, your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose. Please, PLEASE hang up and drive...regardless of whether the law says you should or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts