Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !
After a 50km ride I found this when i reached home.

Tyre Rip - Imgur
Nothing busted as of now, but how bad is this ? Would this get worse ?
This is a new bike
These are Hutchinson Equinox 650c x 23c, hardly ridden 500 km

rgds

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Man, that's nasty looking. The more 'sperienced' guys might have a different opinion, but if it were me I'd have a new tire on order.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Actually I am surprised you made it home. Being cut all the way through to the cords almost anything could have cut through the threads and having a flat on a bike at the wrong time is BAD news. Most of the time if it happens while you are going straight, its not a huge deal, but let it happen while it is being pushed in a turn and you are likely going down.

Now I am not a fan of tasting ground or concrete at any time, but if this is on a busy road when it happens the bike and you can be out in front of on coming traffic in the blink of an eye. Fixing the bike or you is going to be a LOT more expensive than changing that tire and thats assuming the bike and you can be fixed. That is a big assumption too. I am a cheap gray haired old geezer, but I ain't that cheap. Don't ride that bike till the tires changed.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
In an emergency a folded up dollar bill works well as a tire boot. This almost new Schwalbe Marathon got cut when a truck hit my bike while it was parked in a loading dock. I rode the rest of the day with a twenty dollar bill holding the inner tube in. :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
In an emergency a folded up dollar bill works well as a tire boot. This almost new Schwalbe Marathon got cut when a truck hit my bike while it was parked in a loading dock. I rode the rest of the day with a twenty dollar bill holding the inner tube in. :)
A 20?? Wow a high roller, I keep a 1 dollar bill in my saddle bag for such a thing.:)

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Had a tear form on the bead of a somewhat newer tire not a lot of mileage on mine either. Though to be honest was a cheapie tire to begin with lucky enough like you happened when I got home.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay just an update the cheapo that I am , the tires are still holding good.
Although a new pair is ready.
take care

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Did you put a dollar bill in it? Over time, if you ride the bike regularly, the edges of the bill can abrade the innertube and cause it to fail.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I fold in half three times, and I left it in there once for maybe a month when the edge of the bill eventually cut into the tube and I realized dollar bill boot is a temporary measure. That's why I used a twenty this time, I didn't plan on leaving it in there for long. The incident that cut the tire also dinged the rim. I replaced both wheel and tire.

Quartering or folding twice might work better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No dollar bills for me. Just used it the way it is. The tire seems ok. Although I would be soon changing.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I guess the cut is not as deep as I imagined. I thought with use the opening would worsen, but it seems I was wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts