Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my Schwinn hybrid from a Target one year ago. Have enjoyed it till just recently. Have worked up to 21 mile rides and am now experiencing hand numbness and a burning sensation in the neither region. This is despite wearing padded shorts. Going to get some vertical grips for the ends of the bar handlebars to fight the numbing. On the burning sensation, found that I get instant relief by shifting back on the seat. However, I can't hold that position the entire time. Happened to look at the speed on the computer and saw a 1-2 mph increase when I sat back. Leads me to believe my discomfort is due the the seat being too far forward. Do they sell seat stems that are offset to the rear? That and probably need one a little longer in that I'm above the warning line now. No, I've not had a fitting at the LBS. I didn't buy the bike from them so I didn't think it was real appropriate get that.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Yes, you can get a longer post, with setback. Of course, you may be able to slide your seat back on the rails a bit. It's important that you make changes in small increments too.

There is a lot to proper fit. Al can join in and make some suggestions. My bet is he'll mention working on flexibility off the bike.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
When you move back from your normal position to the wider part of the saddle, the discomfort goes away.

I think you need to move your saddle forward so it's under you.

If it's difficult to sit on the back of the saddle now, how will moving the saddle rearward make it easier?

·
73 Posts
Quite often hand numbness or pins and needles comes from having too much weight placed on the hands. This is quite commonly caused by a riders seat being tilted down at the front of the seat to relieve soreness in the nether regions. If your seat is tilted down, your hips roll forward which places your weight on your hands :(

To gauge your seat height is close to correct, pedal with your heels on the pedals for a bit and you should be able to reach the pedals with your legs almost locked out at the knee. Once you have the seat height where you can do that, you move the balls of your feet onto the pedals and you will have a comfortable bend in your knee.

As mentioned by qmsdc15 you need to make sure your sit bones are supported by the seat, you shouldn't be sitting on your "gear" :eek:

Another cause of hand numbness can be riding with a "death grip". All riders should have relaxed elbows when riding, this releases the musculature in the upper back/shoulders and neck region, hence relaxing the arms and allowing the blood to flow through the arms/hands better.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Shane

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Definitely get a bike fit. If you felt better by a simple position adjustment, then there may be a couple of other things at play as well.

How is your flexibility? Can you sit up against a wall at a 90 angle with your back straight, zero space between the wall and your hips and legs out in front of you?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I had a similar issue with sliding back on the seat. I took QM's advice & moved the seat forward, voilà, much better. But then the under-seat bag needed to be re-strapped which left less room for baggage which caused other issues. :p More newbie hurdles to surmount ~ done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yes , i have some . a similar issue with sliding back on the seat. I took QM's advice & moved the seat forward, voilà, much better. But then the under-seat bag needed to be re-strapped which left less room for baggage which caused other issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts