Underwear with cycling shorts?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by fleeter, Feb 24, 2010.

1. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

Ok, so I have a road bike, and I've been riding it in my jeans... not the most comfortable, but hey, it works... I've been looking at buying some riding shorts because I want to start commuting to work, and need something more suited for the task.

So my question is -- and people are going to think this is a total n00b question -- do you wear underwear with your shorts?:eek:

I'm just a little too embarassed to ask the bikers who pass me, "hey, you got anything on underneath?"

2. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

...or if you're asking that of a rider of the opposite gender, they might think you're hitting on them. ;-)

I do wear underwear. Seems too gross not to. Also I figure it preserves the cycling pants. And the latter cost a fortune while underwear is cheap.

The downside is, cotton underwear doesnt work well when it rains or you sweat. So I assume there is some better (and expensive) solution that serious cyclists use.

...all of this leads to my own newbie question/complaint, why is cycling clothing so [dirty words deleted] expensive? As compared with specialized gear for other sports? Are the manufacturers just thinking, the dufus dropped $900 on a bike, he/she wont blink an eye at another $100 for spandex shorts with a little padding?

3. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

Hate to admit this....but wondered the same thing.
    My son is bigger into biking than me, and he says no cyclist wears underwear under the cycling shorts.
    It bunches up, cause blisters. Keeps the sweat from whisking away from your privates.
    But I still wear underwear under mine, never cause a problem, but I do sweat a lot.
    Anyone else have an "expert" opinion?

4. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

With the padded bike shorts you wear nothing under neath. Honestly though, anything shorter than 30 miles at one time and you don't need the shorts. I have used them for long rides but I don't like them. They cost an arm and a leg. They stink to high heaven. They don't last long before ripping or unraveling. They're gawd awful ugly.

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Nope. Au naturel.

6. Nigal

IMHO wool undies and regular athletic clothing is the answer. Plus ya won't look like a total Fred.

7. fleeter

you don't have an opinion on 'em, do ya, Nigal? ;)

8. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

This subject has been addressed before at this forum.... Cycle shorts are made to be worn as is... NO UNDERWEAR! A bunched up wad of sweaty cotton mashed in between your saddle pad and your skin is neither modest, necessary or sanitary. Saddle sores can be a problem for folks that spend hours and hours in the saddle every week and one of the best ways to get them is by bad hygiene in the posterior region. Underwear=NO!
    Quality shorts + Chamois cream= YES!!

9. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Well the wife was a REI the outher day, and there was a pair of XX bike shorts on sale for $21, so she snatched them up, cause if it is a sail she can't pass it up. I don't know where thay got the mesurement for 2 X but I have to lose about 10" off my waist befor thay fit. I know I gained a cupple of pounds during this round of snow storms, but these shorts are maybe a small

10. chh55

REI should be pretty normal as far as sizing goes so that's a bit strange that XXL seems small, of course they are supposed to be tight, stretched and wrinkle-free.
    If you buy Italian made shorts then XXXL or XXXXL is about the same as American XL.

11. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Wonder what size this guy's wearing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  12. fleeter

I want to know if those sandals are clipless... that's hot!

13. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

going commando

Buy Under Armor or Nike Dry Fit underwear. Its made for sports so they don't bunch up.

14. wild

The ones she got were Mountin bike shorts I had asked for a pair. I know I put a fue ## on with the snow and not geting out, but these have to be marked wrong.

15. wild

That might be the size I nead

16. chh55

You gotta wonder what kind of bike that guy rides!

17. Nigal

Probably the biggest ute bike he can find. Gotta be tough to peddle when ya can't see see your feet.

18. Nigal

I thought I was holding back. LOL! I should just change my name to Anti-Fred.

19. fleeter

He might just ride in back...

Attached Files:

• ute.JPG
      ute.JPG
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
  20. lotek

lotek New Member

2 things.
    If you're looking for road bike type shorts I highly recommend going with Bibs, much
    more comfortable not having a waistband digging in.

As to the Italian fellow pictured above (I think that's from an Eroica photo set), don't
    underestimate him, seriously. He may have had a few too many plates of pasta but I
    bet he could put the hurt on a lot of us. I've seen these guys, old (hey I'm old), overweight, maybe smokers and you think "3 miles and they're toast", well let me tell you, they've been riding forever, probably started in a local club and can ride your legs off.
    now, his sense of fashion? ugh.

Marty