Two Spoke Forums banner

Build it or keep it in the box?

• Build it and sell it as an "NOS" bike!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

Just picked up an unopened ROSS bike in a box! I can see that it is a MTB...looks to be a full suspension bike.

The person who gave it to me said that his father won the bike a long time ago and never opened the box!

I can see the word..."MACHINE" on the down tube. I am guessing that it is the second word.

Any Ross experts out there?! I will continue to resarch it, too.

Any offers?!!! $$$$!!!

Thanks Gang
billnuke

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might be an opportunity to actually open up an unopened boxed bike without losing a national treasure!
I will leave it as is for awhile until something tells me what to do! Good winter project maybe! Lotsa posibilities!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I believe Hack was joking and meant the box might be worth saving, though it looks pretty rough in the pictures. No offense, but I believe these bikes were not the best when new, and probably haven't improved with age.

Not sure how old yours is, but I did a quick search and found this recall notice for bikes sold from February 1997 to March 1998:
Mountain Bikes Recalled by Rand/Ross Bicycle

·
Registered
927 Posts
I wouldn't throw it away....
But I wouldn't keep it in the box thinking that it would be worth more later --- because it won't be.

It wasn't a good bike when it was new.

I'd slap it together, and either sell it or give it away.
but it's not like you have an antique or even a good bike there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would that be like adding insult to injury?!!!

I checked out the recall...they sent you a 6mm allen wrnch to tighten the handlebars!!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hey compared to some of the junk I rode as a kid, even the worst bike now would be a thrill to some. There was one neighborhood bike we rode where the handle bars broke off at the weld so only a small curved stem was left. We played like that was the stick of a fighter plane and rode the tar out of that bike till my stupid older brother got on it and cut his finger on the sharp end. We would have been thrilled at any new bike.

Every bike deserves to be ridden at least once. If you don't like it, find a kid that does.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Every bike deserves to be ridden at least once. If you don't like it, find a kid that does.
yes, slap that thing together, find a kid that would treasure it. create a future bike enthusiast, brighten someones day and give the gift of generosity all in one well played move.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently bought a MTB, new in the box for 25 dollars off craigslist. It was a XC-2600. labels said canadian designed, built in taiwan. I built it for a spare bike. Added a new tube. Sold it on craigslist for 75 dollars. I cant believe it got that. The guy came, rode it, and handed me 75. maybe you will get as lucky!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I recently bought a MTB, new in the box for 25 dollars off craigslist. It was a XC-2600. labels said canadian designed, built in taiwan. I built it for a spare bike. Added a new tube. Sold it on craigslist for 75 dollars. I cant believe it got that. The guy came, rode it, and handed me 75. maybe you will get as lucky!
I ended up throwing the "mouse nest" of a box away! There was just no where to put the box. I could not have that box anywhere without smelling it! There was only one strap holding the whole mess together!

I put the bike together and the kids in the neighborhood were taking turns riding it! After me of course!

I was really expecting a horrible bike! I was really surprised as were some bike "afficiandos" after riding this bike! Everybody came back after a ride with a wierd smile on their faces! "How could this be?!" "It's a Ross!"

The bike needed absolutely no adjusting! The brakes, shifters, derailleurs were all perfect!

The bike is staying here for company, grandkids, the neighborhood kids to ride if they need a bike for the weekend, etc. The size is good for just about everybody who has ridden it. There is quick release on the seat. That seat seems to be all the adjustment that is needed!

Also, there was a $299.00 price tag on the bike. Quite a bit of money back in 1995!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts