Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am looking forward to a few rides up coming. Got some dates today for a trip to Florida to see my mom and attend a nieces graduation. Seeing mom isn't easy these days in that she is at the end stages of Alzheimer's disease. We are staying at a place that has a suite right near the water, but this time I am taking the bike or maybe bikes.

Right near the hotel, I can catch Pensacola Beach, and there is a road that goes between Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach near Fort Walton, that is fairly lightly traveled, flat and along the beach the entire 20 ish miles. Twenty miles with an ocean breeze in my face, plenty of time to stop and admire the scenery (wife won't even care if I look at the bikini's. Being a photographer has advantages.) and just stop when I want to for as long as I desire. About half the ride will be along a preserved beach that is almost totally natural. The last time I was along this route, the beaches were dealing with oil. Now clean, its a trip I am really looking forward to.

After that, I am headed up to my hometown for a few days and going to spend one of them riding many of the roads I traveled as a kid, decades ago. That I am not sure how I will react, but its something I do want to do.

Better work on the new gearing for the rear wheel tomorrow. Life is good.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,562 Posts
That'll be neat to see the old stomping grounds and how they've changed.

Sorry about your mom Mark.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of them might be a real challenge. Back then I thought nothing of those rides and would make them without thought. Some of them will be virtually unchanged. Some I know have grown up commercially to the point that a few sections may ad a few gray hairs. This is going to be the foundation of a book, that I think many of you might relate. Considering I grew up in Mississippi in the late 60s early 70s, an awful lot has changed, but most of it for the better.

Mom is ok. She cared for someone with this condition most of her adult life, and when things got tough she always used to say, "Someone is going to have to do this for me one day." She was right. Sad thing is this time the wife will be with me. Her mom has the condition too, though not nearly as advanced. The wife hasn't seen the end stages of this condition before though, and was hoping to avoid her having to see the "coming attractions" that will face her mom.

The bike is a big help. This time a ride along the beach may be just what I need.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Sorry about your Mom hope you have a good visit.

Mark it is neat riding where you grew up , I am 66 and I live 1/2 mile from where I grew up. I have rode down to the creek where we all swam when we were kids, I have rode the same hills I did on my old Derby sure is easyer with gears, but I did take the Huffy that I made a single speed to the hills and I can still get all 239# up the hill. As I ride around here I wonder what, where the people I grew up with are doing, are thay still alive. Getting old is neat for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts