Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10yo Fuji with a Shimano Sora triple crankset (30/42/52).
I live in Houston and don't have a need for the 30 - and I seem to rarely use the 42. I have a 7-speed (13 - 26T) on the rear.

I'd like to move the 42 to the inside, put the 52 in the middle, and get a bigger ring for the outside. So far (IIRC) the biggest ring I can find is a 56.

Q1: What's the biggest ring I could use on the outside?
Q2: Is there a conversion kit to be able to bolt the 42 to the inside?
Q3: Would it be better if I just replaced the rear with an 11-25T?

·
Just Plain Bitter!
72 Posts
I would recommend going to a compact Crankset on the front. This would require a new front derailleur but would make the gear changes a lot easier for you as there are many duplications across the triple chain rings. I prefer mine with 50/34 and 11-27 rear cassette.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Quite simply, you're doing it wrong. If you rarely use the 42, you are either terribly cross-geared most of the time, or mashing all the time.

Unless your average speed is in the upper 20MPH range, in which case, accept my apologies.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
do you spin out the 42-13? and the 52-13? if so, wow!!! and not sure how you are going to do what you want... because you wont find a 42 with a small enough bcd to bolt i the place of the small ring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quite simply, you're doing it wrong. If you rarely use the 42, you are either terribly cross-geared most of the time, or mashing all the time.
I'm doing it wrong ;)
In a paceline (when not in the lead), my legs are strong enough so I can cruise along in a 52/<15. And when I stand (on the flats) I prefer not to spin but to mash and get the kinks out of the rest of my body (and give my butt a break).

I'm definitely not in the upper 20's, but I will hit 50 (yo) this year :D and the fast-twitch muscles aren't what they once were. I'd like to be able to roll along at 20+ without my legs spinning furiously, thus the inquiry to the bigger ring.

I know the triple has a lot of overlap (Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator is a great tool), but with a 56 I could get an additional 8" (gear inches) and +2 MPH at 80-90 RPMs.

Just a thought/inquiry - I'm planning on getting myself a new bike this fall.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well you may get away with mashing for a while, and almost all of us are guilty at times, but sooner or later a masher mashes their knees. Often leads to sheet time, O R time, and sometimes months of rehab. Spinning is safer on the joints

1 - 9 of 9 Posts