UPDATE: NY, NJ Bike Licensing Bills Withdrawn

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by rola643, Mar 10, 2011.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Taken from: FROM THE TOP | Road Bike Rider

This is sort of a repost that I hacked out of the original article as I posted the original under another subject matter that may not recieve proper attention:D
    I think it;s GREAT NEWS!!

UPDATE: NY, NJ Bike Licensing Bills Withdrawn

We received updates from several RBR readers after publishing last week’s From the Top about proposed bills in both New York and New Jersey that would require all bicycles to be registered and display a license plate. Both proposals were withdrawn after much negative feedback from constituents and interested parties, including cycling organizations.

New Jersey Assemblywoman Cleopatra Tucker’s (D-Essex) proposed bill would have required riders (or perhaps their parents) to pay up to $10 a year to register their bikes with the Division of Motor Vehicles. Her bill also could have imposed a fine of up to $100 for each offense for anyone caught riding an unregistered bicycle on public property.

New York State Assemblyman Michael DenDekker, a Queens Democrat, had introduced similar legislation in the Empire State. The registration and inspection fee would have cost $25 for "private" (non-commercial) bicyclists and $50 for commercial bicyclists, with a $5 fee every subsequent year to renew the license.

Both of the proposed bills came about, according to the legislators, because of reports from their constituents about scofflaw bike riders in their districts. Both legislators claimed that having a license plate on every bike would allow citizens to report the cycling lawbreakers. And both neglected to get any feedback from cycling advocacy groups or others who might have opposed such legislation.

Only after drafting it and considering introducing the bill in the state legislature did Ms. Tucker’s proposal come under the microscope. Mr. DenDekker took his a step further and introduced it in the legislature before quickly withdrawing it when the heat came from opponents.

Finally, a quick rundown of the votes cast for last week’s Question of the Week, which asked readers what they thought of these proposed bills.

The overwhelming majority, 49%, answered: “Utterly ridiculous. Talk about misplaced priorities!” Another 18% voted: “These legislators obviously didn’t consider the nuts-and-bolts ramifications.”

“Not even thinking of talking with cycling advocacy groups was their first mistake,” garnered 13% of the vote. “Lawmakers should spend more time on bike safety issues -- not on harassing cyclists,” came in with 12%. And 8% answered: “This is not a terrible idea, but it needs to be refined to work.”

Thanks to all who took the time to write in, Comment and vote on this issue. We appreciate hearing from you!

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Hey, I posted about DenDekker's bill last week. Maybe I forgot the follow up though.

3. rola643

Could be Hack, I'm seem to miss a lot of posts :D

4. rola643

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I think I want to avoid that thread. Did I have to admit I was wrong in it?