Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one wishes to race a couple of triathlon / TT races with his old road bike without investing too much on it she needs couple of extra parts. I have a decent road bike with aero clip on handlebars which had a nice impact of reducing 7 mins of my 90 km cycling time. Now I'm considering what to do next with my bike.

Having read Bicycles and Aerodynamics article I'll still appreciate a word of advice.

At the moment I'm thinking of aero helmet, saddle mounted bottle cages and an aero front wheel with 82 mm rim profile, in that particular order. All together they will cost less than 500 $ (yes, a bargain wheel) and this is an upper limit for my budget.

It would be nice to hear what fellow cyclists think of those improvements and if you have links to studies on cycling gear aerodynamics, I'd love to read about them. The one mentioned above is quite old and I'm sure there's been a lot of improvement since that.

·
Registered
748 Posts
TT bikes and tri bikes are not necessarily the same .

A time trial bike is a very aero road bike. Aero wheels and a laid down position for the rider. But basically a road bike with road bike angles on the frame.

A tri bike has a much different seat angle on the frame. As much as 5 to 7 degrees difference. Pushing the rider far forward on the bike. This position allows the use of different muscle groups to take on the work. This will free up the quad muscles for the run after the bike ride.

You CAN purchase a seat post that mimics the tri position on a road bike, but it will not have the same frame angles on it over all.

Here is a fair explanation of the 2 bikes and the differences...
Tri-Newbies Online...Cycling

Truly however:
It depends on which tri you want to compete in. There are at least 4 different triathlons ran. 2 different sprints(1 with a 10K ride and 1 with a 15K ride), the oly tri(with a 25K ride) and the ironman(with a 112 mile bike)
The sprints will not make a big difference in riding on a tri bike or a modded road bike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts