Urinating in public

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Xela, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I guess this mostly addresses us guys, because I don't see many female cyclists, OK make that never seen any female cyclists, urinating on the side of the road. However, I do know that a lot of us guys, when nature calls out on a long ride, don't bother waiting for the next gas station or rest stop.

I was just watching CNN and the prosecuter they were interviewing said that urinating in public can technically qualify you as a sex offender. Anybody know the details of this assertion? Is it even true?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If you expose yourself, you can get charged as a sex offender. There is a fine line between public urination, and indecent exposure. I suppose that if you must do it, make sure that you are making a real effort to conceal your junk. Bushes, trees, cars, trash cans, find something to hide behind.

3. Xela

Yeah, I usually do that, but it makes you wonder. I guess you could get some police officer that really has a thing against cyclist, and he throws the book at you. I never even imagined public urination might lead to being registered as a sex offender ("8 year olds, Dude." Random applicable Big Lebowski quote.)

4. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Public urination is not an offense that cause you to have to register on the sex offenders registry. The problem is if someone sees your junk then it becomes indecent exposure. Indecent exposure is a crime that requires you sign up for the Sex offenders registry. Lucky for me If the cop arrests me for indecent exposure, I can drop trou in the court room and be set free. Hell I know where it is and have a hard time finding it, there is no way anyone can say they saw it while walking by.

5. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Hey Grape... Too much information!! ;)

6. Xela

Yeah, but funny as *^&% though!

7. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I hardly ever need to pee on a ride. I guess the fluids are getting used elsewhere. As a group leader I sometimes wonder if this issue keeps a few women riders from partaking in the longer group rides. Concern over how to answer nature's call if and when. I have had difficulty in getting the women to sign on for the long rides and I know that condition and ability are not the reason. Any input from the women members? If they are reading this thread that is.

8. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

It is also important to note that a police officer can charge you with whatever they want but it is up to the prosecutor to actually convince a judge that you are guilty of the crime as charged. In most places an indecent exposure charge would require proof that you intended to expose yourself. If you lawyer up early and don't talk to the police I can't imagine anyone actually getting labeled a sex offender unless they were indeed peeing somewhere intentionally public.

On that note...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc]YouTube - Dont Talk to Police[/ame]

9. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

GoGirl.

10. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I think that depends on how vigorously you shake off.

11. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I know that exposing yourself is illegal.
    Is the peeing illegal? Or just the exposing?

Here in Colorado, in Boulder, which I admit is a very strange place anyhow, at Halloween it is a tradition to streak the pearl street mall.
    2 years ago the po po arrested the streakers and charged them with a sex crime.
    This year, the streakers wore clothes(at least a jock strap or thong.).

I think we've lost the vision. We now live on a police state!!!

12. Grape Ape

Both are illegal if done in public and you are seen. You can be charged with public urination. It becomes indecent exposure if the genitals are visible to people passing by.

So if you are in town go inside somewhere. If you are out on the road get off the road a ways and face away from the road, preferably behind a bush or tree. The time spent going out of public to go is much shorter than the possible time spent on the sexual offenders registry.

13. London

London Guest

Funny, I never have to leak on a ride either. I think 55 might have something with the liquids going elsewhere. And this is a good thing. Wouldn't want to unlimber that thing and then ride over the end of it on leaving.

14. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Wow, London...your legs THAT short? Who built your frame for you? (J/K)

Michael Barry's book 'Inside the Postal Bus', detailing his adventures as a member of Lance's team in the latter TDF years, talks about that -- racers in the US can be fined for public urination, whereas in Europe, it's more tolerated.

But, really now...sex offender status for a 'pit stop'? We HAVE to draw the line somewhere. An exposed genital is not AUTOMATICALLY a sex offense...YOU HEAR ME, BIG BROTHER GOVERNMENT? Too many public places are being built without public facilities, so what's a person to do? Others won't allow public use, because 1 or 2 overgrown urchins decided that it would be funny to plug the stool with a 500-foot roll of Texas TP (institutional/commercial stuff, won't take sh** offa nobody).

I took a charity tour with my bud and his gf one year; got lost due to the horrible route signing, turned a 35-miler into 50. She spent the last 15 holding it, refused to 'water the tall grass'. Think she added an hour to the ride, cuz she couldn't pedal faster w/o losing control. Hardhead....

15. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

Anymore than three shakes, then your having a fiddle...

16. Grape Ape

It's my junk and my soap I will wash it all I want to!

17. Grape Ape

Don't worry about running over the end of it. The pain that occurs in a dream is only in your head there is no corresponding pain in reality and it won't leave tire marks and gravel in it in real life. So run over the end of it as many times as you want in your dreams, heck make a game of it if you want. You don't have to worry about it in real life.:D

18. London

London Guest

GA: In junior high my French teacher brought in a film of the Tour de France. There was a scene of riders cresting a hill after a long, long climb. The narrator was heard to say,"And now our riders are able to relieve themselves after such a horrible climb."

The scene was one of men dragging their Johnson's out the leg hole of their bike shorts and peeing on the move. One rider angled right in front of the camera and he about leaked on the audience. Junk right in your face. All us boys laughed like hell. The girls shreaked but did not look away. The teacher blanched. I do not think she had previewed the film. I still smile at the thought of this almost 40 years ago.

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

hahaha!

20. London

London Guest

Yeah? Laugh all you want. Know what I just did? Took an old MTB tire and cut it in half. Covered that bad boy on both sides with the tire halfs and duct taped the whole monster. Now I can leave it to drag behind me.

Piss on all of you!