Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in other words... or actually the same words but in English
Quotable Bicycle
i love quotes about bikes and wanted to post, and i hope others have some to share as well.

"Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." ~Albert Einstein

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Very nice, keep'm coming

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
An older couple stopped to ask me directions out on a country road one time. I as started telling them where they needed to go they lady thought it was funny that I was referencing not only streets but hills (i.e. take a right just after a long, gradual uphill with a short, steep downhill). I later saw this quote from Hemingway which I like.

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
"Toleration is the greatest gift of the mind; it requires the same effort of the brain that it takes to balance oneself on a bicycle."

Helen Keller

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
in other words... or actually the same words but in English
Quotable Bicycle
i love quotes about bikes and wanted to post, and i hope others have some to share as well.

"Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." ~Albert Einstein
I think Johan Bruyneel must be lurking around here. He just posted that same quote about 30 minutes ago on his Twitter.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Johan Bruyneel must be lurking around here. He just posted that same quote about 30 minutes ago on his Twitter.
that is wild...

"Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs

thanks to all who are sharing, great quotes!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
An older couple stopped to ask me directions out on a country road one time. I as started telling them where they needed to go they lady thought it was funny that I was referencing not only streets but hills (i.e. take a right just after a long, gradual uphill with a short, steep downhill). I later saw this quote from Hemingway which I like.

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.
nice one xela, i can relate to that.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Cycling is unique. No other sport lets you go like that - where there's only the bike left to hold you up. If you ran as hard, you'd fall over. Your legs wouldn't support you."
~Steve Johnson

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"You don't suffer, kill yourself and take the risks I take just for money. I love bike racing."
~Greg LeMond

I love cycle and cycling quotes so revived my long dead thread....

·
3,510 Posts
And perhaps one that is personal to most all of us:
“Crashing is part of cycling as crying is part of love." Johan Museeuw
:D Sorry,,,,,,,

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So true about crashing...

Did Lance actually say that? blahahaha. That is the funniest thing ever.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
“Cycling is so hard, the suffering is so intense, that it’s absolutely cleansing.”

Lance Armstrong

Guess by "cleansing" he meant detoxifying? :p

I actually always feel a tad sorry for Lance. I bust on him but he gets so much hate. While George Hincapie is regarded in good light still and even Cancellara and Contador get less hate than Lance. I suppose it is the podium affect, the higher up it the longer and more painful the fall. Don't get me wrong Lance made the choices and created the hate by his own doing. Plus it is possible the others are just so less sugnificant to the sport that few really care what they did. Though arguably Contador's doping was far worse.

Not defending Lance just wonder why I like to poke fun at the guy but oddly somewhat respect Hincapie. Though neither are really my type of rider or that insperational. One thing no one can hate on them like they have done to each other lol...

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Lance Armstrong has done more to damage the reputation of professional cycling than any other cyclist in history. It's not about his place on the podium, it's that he loved being in the media, and brought so much attention to cycling. Then it all came down around not just him, but the whole industry. Not many people outside of dedicated cyclists even know who Hincapie, Contador, or Cancellara are. But millions of people bought and wore that stupid yellow bracelet. Yes, the money might have gone to a good cause, but in the end, everyone was duped by the fraud on two wheels.

·
1,945 Posts
I think it has more to do with Lance being an a$$hole. If you watch "The Armstrong Lie" or read 'Wheelmen' Watch youtube, listen to interviews and his own words before and after. He was so righteous, and indignant in attitude. Playing the poor victim while ruining others lives, threatening and threatening to sue others. Bullying and having the money and resources to do it. When others came clean and took the deal he remained steadfast in his denials and attacked everyone. Making comments that LeMond had a drinking problem and maybe drugs when LeMond suggested Uno was not clean.
His now classic Paul Kimmage ripping. Calling Betsy Andreu a crazy B.
Forcing others to dope or they would be off "his" team.
Calling Marco Pantani "elefantino" and a "sh!t starter" He had no respect for others only he mattered. Others were just tools for him to use on his path to winning and endorsements. All above speaks to his character, actually lack of. (yes I ended that sentence with a preposition)
All while putting on the public image of a great guy, a national hero, cancer survivor coming back against all odds, philanthropist, victim.
Having his team of lawyers fighting to keep money he lied or was in breach of contract when receiving it years earlier, after the truth came out.
It all speaks to his attitude that he was above it all, he can do what ever he wants because he's Lance. He's the boss how dare anyone challenge me. He's a friggin sociopath.
He's the abusive husband administering mental or physical abuse then begging for forgiveness asking for pity asking for another chance. That ship, for me at least, sailed a long time ago. He will not change no matter how he presents himself in public. Behind the scenes his personality is a strong, but bad one, he can't change. But he is a master at making everyone sympathize and believe he has. He is the ultimate spin doctor going on charity rides, riding with celebrities, politicians, presidents all as if to show everyone 'look they like me, they have forgiven me, aren't I a great guy' and people buy it hook, line, sinker, rod, reel, boat etc.... to the point of defending him saying he got a raw deal, he should get another chance , it's not fair, he's suffered long enough bla bla bla.
Everyone can argue he did what everyone else was doing and had to do to win. As Marco Pantani told his mother when he turned pro, he was giving up cycling, it is a mafia. But none of the rest of them acted in the way L.A. did. Is that win at all costs attitude what took him to the top and that's OK, its what you need to get the job done. Others did not. Was he a good cyclist, of course like all who turn pro he stood out as special among young amateur riders. LeMond said maybe good enough to be in the top 30-35, true or maybe a little sour grapes exaggeration from Greg after Lance belittled him?This is not about any of that. Had his ego, or perhaps greed for money and even power, not gotten in the way he would be riding again like the others are now allowed. Maybe still get some endorsements, started a training facility like Hincapie. But it was his way or nothing. He found out the hard way he wasn't who he thought he was and so did we.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Very good point on all that. His ego so to speak does make a huge difference.

Still his actual breaking of UCI rules is literally no different than that of Hincapie, Contador and Cancellera and many others.

This kinda speaks to the ones to blame are those who bought the Lance hype. Sure he marketed himself out there but the other three mentioned would have done so if they could have. Who among them dislikes fame and money?

I guess I kinda stand alone in viewing them all pretty much the same in regard to the true spirit of cycling. Though oddly Hincapie is the only one of the three I like. Thus I do not view them all exactly the same. Contador is the biggest cheat drug user in the group. It could be argued that since Hincapie knew the whole time that Lance was on the juice (he was doing it with him) that he is as big a fruad to stand by and wait to say something. My lack of blaming Lance for the absolute mess of professional cycling actually could be because I never liked Lance prior to finding out he was a fraud.

Lance had little impact on my view of UCI Road Racing prior to him being found out. Therefore it had no impact to my view when it was out publically. I actually remember hearing it and shrugging my shoulders. Yep, I thought to myself he doped, no shocker there. Following the sport closely it just was no surprise as so many others have been busted so many times.

I agree with you both entirely. Was mostly just expanding on my own confussion of it all and why I enjoy making fun of Lance more than the other cheaters.

Golden boys must stay golden and really Lance hurt professional cycling more than any other cyclist because he had lifted it more than anyone else. Not excusing his cheating. But had he just been like Contador and won Tours and stayed mostly quiet (in Spain Contador was a legend for moment) and no one not way into cycling knew him then he would have just been stripped some awards and no one woulda much cared.

One thing for sure he was well loved and is not so much anymore. In my experience Americans have the biggest issue with Lance, which makes since after your explination; which is spot on to me. After all his largest impact on cycling was in the States, he should be more bregrudged here. Though in France Lance's popularity also plummeted. Fair play the entire French cycling community already hated Contador. Discovering he cheated if anything was good news.

I feel more sad for Andy Schleck about the first Tour I saw him finish second to Contador in. He was so close and worked so hard to lose to someone on dope.(especially when he only lost because of that untimely chain drop). This impacted me as I watched each stage of the race and admired young Andy. Thus hearing Contador did not deserve that Yellow Jersey was more personal than hearing Lance and his entire teams had cheated. Totally illustrating your point that the impact of the cheating is what determines why one fraud cheater is worse to us than another.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts