Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other goof balls out there who misss them? I had some sweet single digit ultimates paired with Mavic Crossmax ceramic coating wheels, and I miss them! Love the disc brakes, but there was something about the v-brakes that kept the sport simple and fun for some reason.

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
I'm poor so I still have them :) mjust use trees to slow down and turn :D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yep, I miss them. Yeah, the disk brakes will stop you scary fast, but I never really had any issues with the old style and they just worked. I have to tinker with the disks every time I take the wheels off.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed! Dialing the disc brakes in when I swap wheels is a pain. The simplicity of the V's was awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Single Digit 7's were killer. Every bit as good as their BB7 discs. Especially if I kept the ceramic braking surface clean, those babies would stop on a dime.

I'm seriously considering selling the 26er so I can build one up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every once and a while I ride a bike that has v's on it and am suprised at how strong they are, so I kinda miss them, till I remember a ride years ago with the out of true flat spotted rear wheel hitting one pad then the other with the brakes not applied and bouncing like mad when I used them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Haha yeah they were simple I still love them I dislike having the mess with the disc's every time I have to take the rims off to fix a flat, as well as fixing my derailleur and bending the dropout back. Pain in the ass but eh it's whatever, keeps me busy haha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Never had a bike that was worth a flip with v-brakes. All my good bikes have been road bikes or late model mountain bikes. Never really had to fiddle with my disc brakes much.

·
hardtail hardass
45 Posts
My rims never stay very true for long, and although I liked the simplicity of V-brakes, I don't miss the pulsating ABS feeling...or wondering if they will stop my muddy, clay packed wheels at the bottom of the hill.

·
Banned
430 Posts
I'm still using them! Cable disc brakes suck, and rim brakes are ideal for me. Cheap and effective! :thumbsup:

I like to score my rims with sandpaper to scrub off any paint (slick stuff, why is it on a rim brake?), and make little "record grooves" for the brake shoes to bite. It helps cut squealing out, too.

Avid v-lever with twist-knob leverage adjustment (a dream come true).

My current v-brakes:

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/Images/Products/Cane-Creek-Direct-Curve-Brake-Levers-42866-Medium.jpg

http://www.bikepartsplace.com/images/med/31862168.jpg
These look weird, but they have no annoying noodle! The cable nests into the longer v-brake arm, and comes out easily. Even with the 2 finger levers, I feel like I have crunching stopping power.

·
Bayou Biker
437 Posts
^ + 1.

I often read about others having to re-adjust mechanical disc brake calipers after removing a wheel, but I don't have to do that. I make sure to push the bike down over the axle spindle and keep it weighted while tightening the QR a lot.

Still have Avid Vs on the MTB which is mostly used on the road. I've had to re-center the rears more often than touching the knob on the disc's pad adjuster. Whiles Vs are much better than center pulls, side pulls, and cantis, there's a bit of guesswork at the point before lock-up for me, and I don't like the long lever travel. I don't miss them while riding the disc brake bike, but I'm sure glad they're there when going down hill with my tail higher than my head.

·
Banned
430 Posts
Suit yourself, but I hate them. I'd take hydraulic discs on a nicer bike, but I don't like cable discs. To me they are a pointless compromise. I don't like the feel of them, and I do like the feel and operation of my v's (predictable, instantaneous, and powerful). I like conventional hubs and rims that I can get for this bike. I like my silent clutch hub and have never seen a silent clutch hub with disc mounts.

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts

·
Shore Rat
383 Posts
I have bikes in the house with Cable disks,V-brake(XTR) and various hydro disks in the wet nothing beats a good hydro disk in the dry I do like my v-brakes even though disks are stronger v-brakes offer better modulation in the dry and cable disk are a very poor cousin they offer better braking in the wet then v-brakes but offer very little modulation and not near the power or modulation of good hydros..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts