Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried these for biking? I hear they're great for hiking and running, and I was wondering if they are a good match for biking. I'll post a link, but here's a description: Imagine water socks with tough rubber soles made by Vibram and separate toes on the end. They aren't cheap and flimsy at all. I don't want clips or anything on my pedals, I don't like being confined that way, and I don't like people having to walk around in those shoes. The most I would get is these: Power Grips Sport Pedal Kit at REI.com
I've used them before and they work great for what I want, and they would work with the "shoes", which are here:
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/indexNA.htm
 

·
Bent Newbie - old rider
Joined
·
144 Posts
Personally, I want a stiff sole when riding, which these don't have. However, I do most of my biking on the road, so a more flexible sole might work better on downhills; I just don't have enough experience there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
my only concern is that your toes are kind of more exposed than normal.. not necessarily for stubbing as im sure the boot will protect it but more for twisting or being caught
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I was thinking about the exposed toes and the firm support for the feet, but they do have some serious support from the rubber, those were definitely the reason I was asking people's opinion because I had those same concerns...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
i wonder if they are on sale in the UK because i think NIKE do a similar thing but more like mittens where your big toe is separated from the rest of your foot


just realised something this is really not the type of shoe i would recommend buying "blind" ie without trying them on..

im definitely going to have problems because both of my 2nd toes are longer than my big toes.. which wont work...

oh and yes they are for sale in the UK.. (google shopping answered that one)
 

·
Younger than Hack
Joined
·
746 Posts
From what i know of them they are designed to allow your foot to act more like if you are barefoot it helps to refine your running and to bring a more natural action to your foot when running. If they allow for that then I would figure they are to flexible for riding in that if you can down on the pedal to hard it could injure you foot instead of the force being directed over the entire foot sole as in a regular shoe.
 

·
gnar! gnar! gnar!
Joined
·
179 Posts
I'd imagine they would be quite uncomfortable on mtb pedals
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: REI carries them and you can try them on. They only make one toe size, which accommodates 95% of people(REI also has special sizing charts to help you figure out what size to wear, shoe size is completely different in this case.). I'm in the other 5%, so the question turns out to have been a moot one anyway, but thanks for the feedback everyone!
 

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
Joined
·
12,350 Posts
I got some similar socks that are supposed to be awesome for running and cycling, but they don't fit my monkey toes.

Mike, is that the year you were born?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I own a pair of Trek Sport Vibram shoes and have ridden my MTB out on flatland single track as well as on pavement with them. They are ok so long as they don't get wet. As soon as the soles are wet they get very slippery on pedals (my day in the mud and rain with them was "fun"). In my opinion these shoes are great for a quick jaunt on the bike but not for the long haul in the saddle. That being said, I carry these when I tour and they are great for camp shoes! They are also good for trail running, parkour, hiking, kayaking, and general day wear (the tread on the soles does wear a little fast but I bought them to wear them soooo.....):cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I have a couple of pairs, you can bike in them but like nomadsanity said if they get wet they are extremely slippery on the pedals. They are fine for a quick ride here and there but not for serious biking of any sort.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top