Videos from Our Rides

Discussion in 'Trail & Ride Reports' started by biglou630, Jan 5, 2015.

1. biglou630

biglou630 Active Member

Since I got a Sony Action Cam for Christmas I figured I'd start a thread of videos we take. After a week of learning how to edit the video i am finally done. I do apologize though because I forgot to trim the audio at the end of the video.

So here is the video from Saturday's Gaither Ride.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaw-086vHM0[/ame]

2. biglou630

biglou630 Active Member

Thought it would post the video not the link. Lets see if this works better...

https://youtu.be/Jaw-086vHM0

Sent from my iPad using Bike Forum

3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

You have your videos set to private in YouTube Lou :)

4. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

It's also private from the link. Even if you sign into Google.

5. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

what is Lou hiding?

his new bib shorts selfie?

[​IMG]

6. biglou630

biglou630 Active Member

Oh sorry I didn't realize that! I believe it is corrected now. I feel like I need to take a college course for all this video stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum

7. biglou630

biglou630 Active Member

And I just realized the quality is crappy as hell. I probably need to change the aspect ratio and repost it. Oh well, more homework tonight.

8. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Those flesh colored arm and leg warmers, seen in the video, are very popular here in Florida for the winter season. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. kneedrachen

what was with the guy around 45 seconds on on the wrong side of the road? pulled over for a mechanical or just joining the group?

10. biglou630

biglou630 Active Member

Yeah so we started off with 5 riders and then as you see in the video riders start joining in from neighborhoods and by making uturns from the other direction. By the time Group A pulls away, all the riders who jumped on, we were 30+ riders.

11. az_cyclist

az_cyclist Junior Member

I took some video of the Saguaro Lake 200k brevet last Saturday, but I have not had time to edit them.

12. biglou630

biglou630 Active Member

Ok so I am seeking help from you video nerds out there. I'm trying to become one but to no avail, I am unsuccessful. So I have gone back to my editing software to the Picture Size & Aspect Ratio screen thinking thats where I may have messed up. Because it is clear as day until I post it to YouTube. So I originally had it set at 16:9 1136x640 and at 30FPS. Here is the screen options I have. The first image is the actual video, clear as day. The second are my options. Did I chose incorrectly? If so what options should I chose. If I chose correctly what else could I be doing incorrectly? Thanks for your advice!

Attached Files:

13. FRISKY

FRISKY Maturity Challenged

What are the settings the camera uses for recording?

14. kneedrachen

Before you make yourself crazy, dump the speed/cadence plugin.

I am assuming your camera is set to record at 720p at either 30 or 60 frames per second?

If so, start with 720p/30FPS, NO PLUG IN.

Create a free account on Vimeo and upload it.

Now, try it at 720p/60FPS, NO PLUG IN.

now add your plug in and upload to Vimeo....

I use Vimeo vs. youtube for video quality and they offer a lot more than youtube does.

15. biglou630

biglou630 Active Member

I believe, and 95% sure, that the camera is set to record at 1080p 30FPS. That is the default setting. Should I change it to 720p and/or 60FPS?

Knee I'll do all of that when I get home tonight. Thanks for the advice.

16. kneedrachen

Loudawg-

1080p is kind of a lost cause (IMHO) for youtube as you won't get the full HD due to their compression/conversion.

Below I have included the link to my channel, all were shot at 720p and 30 fps. I only used Windows Movie Maker to add some titles etc; I do cut/stitch videos to help out with things moving a bit faster from traffic lights etc (except the first one after my stroke).

I can shoot at a full 1080 and 60/120 FPS and you'll notice it on Vimeo, but the 720/30 is good enough for me plus it saves room on the memory card.

https://vimeo.com/kneedrachen/videos

17. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

As an end user i HATE Vimeo and most times don't bother trying to view videos when I see them posted there...its slow and clunky ( i can never tell if its my connection, machine or the site itself but it's aways slow. I generally have no issue once the video starts though ) and makes things more difficult than youtube. Never paid enough attention to notice any video quality differences . I do view the TS vids from there though :)

I agree with you on the speed and cadence.

18. kneedrachen

I think it is something ony our end, rola. Vimeo gives me fits at work due to filtering/firewalling/sever issues but at home it is flawless. I also have a much faster connection at home so that may help.

Youtube's compression sucks, I have yet to see more than a handful of truly decent quality videos on there. I'm not saying it's bad, but I find Vimeo provides a much more pleasant viewing experience.

19. TruElvis

TruElvis Two "Slow" Spoke Tavern Member

^ Agree with knee. Vimeo's video quality is very good if you have a fast connection but they limit you to 500MB file size upload if you only have a free account. YouTube has no such limit for free account but their video compression will make your razor sharp video look like it was shot in the rain.

20. kneedrachen

Tru-

I have a paid account with Vimeo to eliminate the upload limit as well as get instantaneous uploads vs. having to get in to the queue for the free account uploads.

Youtube also drops ads etc on your stuff....