Vinokourov Returns

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Sean, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Sean

Sean New Member

Link

Sounds like he is taking advantage of the timing of Bruyneel and Armstrong leaving. He was a strong rider, but man what an ego.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

He said previously that he wanted to come back, but wasn't going to ride for Johan, so I do think they are related. I think Astana might have gently given him the boot. But, oh well, it's gonna be better anyway.

Think Team Radioshack's gonna pick up Alberto? :)

3. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Probably not. I would say that Lance won't want him anywhere near him. He will want the team to do what it has to do to help him win another TdF. Why have someone who can beat him next to him on a break only to have him beat you in the sprint across the finish at each stage. Nope Lance will want a team of strong hard chargers that know their place is to be his windbreak then to move over when they get close to the finish line.:eek:

4. Sean

Sean New Member

I think you are right that LA wants to win, and that Contador will probably not be on the team, but as one of the owners/founders of the team, (through Livestrong), I think he must also be thinking of the team as a business. I think he will try to win next year, then try to cultivate some young rider who will be a dominant force in the Tour for years to come. And that may mean riding for that young rider for a year or two.

Armstrong seems to have a good business head.

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

The Contador comment was meant to be a joke. Plus, there is a rumor floating around the F1 circles (I'm a huge F1 fan), that Fernando Alonso (2x World Champion) is thinking of starting a cycling team with AC.

I like that avatar, Sean.