Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I have organized a vintage Mountain bike ride for Saturday the 20th at 9am at Lake Hodges. Several other riders that post on MTBR.com in the vintage forum will be there. I will be riding my 1941 Schwinn Excelsior clunker and you can expect to see lots of other cool vintage rides there. We will be meeting at 12655 Sunset drive which is just off the 15 freeway near the North County Fair shopping mall. The ride will be a moderate 15-18 mile ride with lots of photos. My name is Aaron and I drive a bright blue 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4 door with a camper shell. If you can make it please join us! If you have any questions or need directions PM me.
Hi, I'd like to share a Google Maps link with you. Link: <http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...sspn=1.227382,2.106628&ie=UTF8&ll=33.079784,-

·
Registered
37 Posts
You own a 1941 Schwinn Excelsior? Thats a beautifull bike. very Rare nowdays. I'm obviousily a Schwinn guy so I can admire anything Schwinn. I just got 2011 Schwinn Tourist hybrid road bike. Its great for hitting the bike paths and great for commuting. Its pretty fast going down hill. I do that for fun sometimes. I used to ride a mongoose full suspension mountain bike. I had some good times on that. But my stupid brother lost the key when he borrowed it after that I never saw that bike agan. I do miss it sometimes tho.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Schwinn I own is not exactly stock. It has the original paint but thats about it.

I also have a 1936 Mercury that I purchased as a rusty old frame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do believe I want that bike.

Would you consider an article about it for my website?
Sure, the bike has gone through a few changes since I first put it together.
It started as a rusted old frame in some guys back yard.

The first build included the original fork that didn't last long.

I ended up running a Tange fork for a while.

It's main use is as a kiddie carrier.

I then found an old bomber fork with a 1 inch steerer. I couldn't resist polishing it and using it.

Certainly my favorite bike. It was my first attempt at a pre-war rebuild. I also just finished a Silver King custom that turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Currently I have just those and one more. This is a 1993 Brave Cycles Chief fillet brazed by Tom Teesdale. To my knowledge it is the only one of its kind. I purchased the frame bare with no paint from Tom directly. He provided an original decal set with the frame. I then had it painted by Cycleart in San Marcos CA. They did all the original artwork and paint for Brave Cycles back in the day and they still had all the original photos and color codes.

I have done some other restorations but I don't own any of these bikes anymore. Here are some 1985 Mountain Kleins:

A nice old Elgin:

And an old Ritchey with a very rare suntour browning electric shift crank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts