Vintage Pedicab Rebuild, NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by themuzz, Mar 30, 2010.

1. themuzz

themuzz New Member

Hey guys, first time poster. I just got hold of a vintage pedicab that I pickup in a beach area. Needless to say its a bit rusted and some parts are missing. First question, where is the best place to find parts for these, even looking for used stuff to keep the cost down. It has 28" x 1.5" tires on it, I am running into issues finding rims for it. The front is 3/8" axle, and the rears are 1/2" axles. The rims that are on it are kinda rusty, I maybe able to soda/sand blast them and either powder coat or paint them but some of the splines are missing in one as well. I think the hubs will only work with this setup so this may be the case of rebuilding them. I never have done this before. Next issue is there is basically no drive train, IE: gear selector, chain, or rear gear selector, any ideas on what I could do there? Maybe strip a set off a standard bike? I will go into more later just need some ideas, might post some pics of it later on tonight!

Thanks,
    Damian

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

First, we need photos. The only thing I can suggest without photos is that you consider swapping to 26" wheels.

And welcome to the forums!

3. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Sheldon Brown says 28x1.5 is either 635 or 622, so standard 700c rims might work with no mods other than maybe long reach brakes. Might be a good application for Bulldog brakes? Aren't 3/8" and 1/2" the standard sizes for bolt-on axles?

4. themuzz

themuzz New Member

I shot these early this morning hopefully there is enough detail. Let me know if you guys can figure out anything else from these or if I have to shoot more of something!

Attached Files:

5. themuzz

themuzz New Member

Couple more

Attached Files:

6. Industry_Hack

Did you want to keep it as original as possible, or make it functional.

More pics of the motorcycle behind the Goat, please.

7. themuzz

themuzz New Member

LOL next time, I would like to just make it work, if I could strip down a good will bike I would be the first to do it! Cheaper the better!

Attached Files:

8. Industry_Hack

I have whitewalls and a springer on my beach cruiser. ;) If fishtails looked good on a Sporty, I'd get a set.

9. themuzz

themuzz New Member

ya only a few bikes pull off the fish tales, maybe I should get a set coming out of the back of the pedicab lol!

10. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

What are you going to use it for, and where did you get it? I've been looking for one for a while now.

11. themuzz

themuzz New Member

I might actually restore to sell, not sure yet, there was a group that just opened a buisness around here with a bunch of these are there already yelling at me to sell it to them since its not a fiberglass one

12. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Is there a make/model on it or custom build?

13. themuzz

themuzz New Member

Not sure yet, trying to figure out the emblem on the front. Looks like its a non custom built, meaning it looks as though a company built it

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm thinking about doing the same.

15. themuzz

themuzz New Member

If i were to sell it I wouldn't even know a price, either in the condition its in, or after. But you being in Texas might be a hell of a drive for it lol!

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Mail. Kidding. I'm like you, I've always wanted one, never could find one. Used any how.

17. themuzz

themuzz New Member

Ok so the make of the bike is KW Bicycle which looks to still be in business in India, not sure if there the ones that made the cab portion as well though as the real wheel hubs after sandblasting read: MONDAL-SP CAL-13, tires on this are 40-635mm or 28" x 1.5", any ideas where this thing came from guys?

18. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Before I did anything, I believe I would get the whole thing media blasted and see what you have left. With that much rust, it might be simpler to just build a new one

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Very true.

20. themuzz

themuzz New Member

Already started that, and there is plenty to work with. Just need to find parts like the rims