Vintage question

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by coonash, Jun 20, 2010.

1. coonash

coonash New Member

What year is a bike considered vintage. How can you tell if a vintage bike is worth anything or is junk?

Sorry for the newb questions, just trying to learn

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Not sure how old a bike needs to be in order to be considered vintage, but value depends on the quality of the bike/components, as well as rarity, and of course its history. Even a crappy old Huffy would have some value if it was Lance Armstrong's first bike.

3. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

I know in cars minimum of 25 years old before considered a classic but as Hack said it really depends on the bike. There's old crap with bikes and bikes some guys would purely kill for I would think lol

4. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

trouble is what books can you get that tell you which ones are which???

5. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

There's a wealth of info bout old bikes on the net pretty much one of the best sources there is. ya know?

6. joelseph

joelseph New Member

try oldroads.com to start

7. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

thecabe.com is a great site to

8. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

There is a lot of information on types of bikes, some about repairing old bikes, but old roads is the only place I have found that would put a number on an old bike

9. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

This question also haunts me. Usually when I'm surfing Craig's List and I just clicked on the 12th pile of cat sh*t bike claiming to be "vintage".

I do in home hospice care and I have been in a lot of elderly people's garages and have seen some outstanding bikes just hanging from the ceiling unused. One of my regular patients has a nice SS Western Flyer hanging in her garage that would be nice to have.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  10. joconn

joconn New Member

Just for fun, look up "vintage" and you will wonder what dimwit first equated the word with old cars and such. It has everything to do with grape crops and wine.

11. Gandalfe

Gandalfe '57 Schwinn Wasp

Well vintage stuff, is an indicator of age and not quality me thinks. Witness the two shows, "American Picker" and "Pawn Stars". If older than 25 years works for cars and motorcycles, as determined by licensing in most states, I think that could work for bicycles.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  12. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I would say for bikes 40 years is vintage.

13. Gandalfe

Gandalfe '57 Schwinn Wasp

Hi Dean, that works too. Any chance this is covered in any books on classic bicycles? I mostly have the books associated with my Schwinn.

Vintage as an adjective: Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010