Walmart Bicycles

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by SG-1, Oct 13, 2011.

1. SG-1

SG-1 New Member

I was in Wally World the other day and walked by the bikes. I've been reading about the GMC Denali on that other bike forum, how most people trash it, whereas actual owners say it is not bad. Haven't seen one until that day.

First thing I did was slide the rack out and pull it down from the upper rack. Holy crap, that thing is heavy. Without riding it, here are my initial impressions:

Bike looks nice from 10 feet away. Up close, it reeks of cheapness in some of the components, whereas others look and feel decent. Seat looks neat.

Twist shifters on drop bars are kind of goofy looking, but when you put your hands on them, it is not too bad. It had Shimano gears, but they are definitely built cheaper than the better stuff. Really, the worst part of the bike that I can see are the wheels & tires. I picked up each side and spun the wheels, unfortunately both were warped & the tires were grossly out of round.

For $160, if the wheels were straight and true, this bike would not be a bad deal considering most owners are happy with it. Problem is, for me, I would have to spend $300 for a decent set of wheels & tires, which brings the price to near $500.

For $500, you can get a much better built bike at the LBS and/or online.

Walmart.com offers a wider range of bikes, and even has what appears to be a better quality bike for just under $500. Too bad they don't stock these road bikes in any of their stores for us to look at.

My daughter has a Schwinn Sidewinder MTB that came from Wally World as well. Paid about $160 for it. I am impressed with it, considering the price. Yeah, the tires are cheap and thin, but the shifting and ride are pretty smooth. Big downside is, again, the weight. These things are heavy.

Anyone here have any xxx-Mart bicycles? Your experiences with them?

p.s. Please keep the flaming to a minimum, I would like to see some constructive replies. :D

2. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Meh Never bought one from there yet but falls under ya get what ya pay for. Biggest issues with them better have basic tune up knowledge of bikes cause you is on ya own with them. Not much an issue for me.

I wasn't really impressed the way that bike looked to be honest though

3. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Walmart is the worst place you can go for a new rider. First of all even if you got the exact same bike for less, the assembly can be anywhere from ok to awful and a few cases even downright dangerous. Are you sharp enough with bike repair to check the mistake of a 19 year old kid that has never put a bike together working for minimum wage???? You ever see the maintenance department for bikes in a Walmart? Me, I have never seen anyone at Walmart try to fix anything, but I have seen a crowd tailgating the Walmart parking lot waiting for Larry the Cable Guy.

A local bike store will be a little more up front, but there is almost always someone there to ask a question, give you advise on the extras you need and provide encouragement along the way. When that bike does need work, they will have a service department and most provide at least some time of free adjustments. Some local bike stores offer free lifetime adjustments.

They also will help you fit your bike. Though not all sales associates know what they are doing, a good bike store should help you get adjusted to get comfortable on your new bike that will make the ride comfortable. IF you are not comfortable, you are not going to enjoy it and stick to it. Yes it will cost a few dollars more up front, but most likely reap many times more in savings down the road by going with the bike shop vs Walmart.

4. froze

froze Banned

Hold on a second guys, Walmart is not necessarily the worst place to go for a first bike. Sure their heavier then an LBS bike, but they cost less too. Here's my rational for Walmart as a first bike. Most people buy their first bike with all the greatest intentions in the world to ride forever so they can become fit and remain fit, and see the wonders of the world...3 months later the bike is allocated to the garage where the it becomes a piece of garage art for the next 30 years when they finally decide to sell it in a garage sale! I've bought two 80's era road bikes that were purchased new, one in 85 and the other in 88, one was ridden for 250 miles and the other only 5 miles! I paid $100 each for those two bikes, a 85 Schwinn LeTour Luxe and a 88 Fuji Club both in mint condition. And this sort of thing goes on all the time across America. I've seen a lot more then just those two, but only those two fit me perfectly.

So unless your a avid runner and biking is just going to be another avid sport for you then I suggest buying a less expensive bike, then if after a year or two your still actively riding and riding a lot you will discover that you have outgrown the bike and time to move up. But don't move up to a low end LBS, move up instead to a mid level or maybe high end if you're going to be racing, but most people a mid level bike is fine. Then you can keep your cheap Walmart bike for camping or foul weather.

Or you could go mail order and order a low cost bike from Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties Look at the first pages sale bikes and see if anything strikes your fancy or hit one of the tabs and look for others. At this place you could buy a better bike then Walmart for prices in between Walmart and the low end LBS's bikes and be equivalent to low end LBS's bikes in frame and components.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I got my daughter a Huffy single speed beach cruiser for $80, and her friend just got one too. At that price point, the bike meets my expectations. Most shoppers there don't understand that "full suspension" bikes for $99 simply cannot be done.

6. BeginnerCycling

BeginnerCycling Active Member

^^^Agreed, some of their cruiser deals are decent. I think Walmart/Kmart could be fine for a simple single speed bike to poot around on -- and have thought about just buying one from there on my next long trip, rather than renting a bike. However, it is still worth doing a few minutes of internet research reading through customer reviews on any bike you buy there. I've seen some of their cheap bikes have reviews indicating repair issues in the 1st day or 1st week. Seems especially true for what should be simple kids' bikes, with a lot of reviews mentioning disappointed kids and injuries also.

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I think Big 5 offered a better cruiser for $100, but it was plain black.

8. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

They should just change the name for those to spring loaded LMAO