Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pedals Help!

Hi again,

Thanks to advice here I have bought a Carrera TDF from Halfords. I like it as a bike and its much improved on my aged mtb! but I want to get spd mtb pedals for it rather than the strap cages it comes with.

I have been looking around and like the look of these Shimano M520 Clipless pedals and something like these Shimano FN21 SPD Shoes.

My question is can I fit any pedal onto the bike and can any shimano spd pedals go with any shimano spd shoes?

Thanks for all your help :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi again,

Thanks to advice here I have bought a Carrera TDF from Halfords. I like it as a bike and its much improved on my aged mtb! but I want to get spd mtb pedals for it rather than the strap cages it comes with.

I have been looking around and like the look of these Shimano M520 Clipless pedals and something like these Shimano FN21 SPD Shoes.

My question is can I fit any pedal onto the bike and can any shimano spd pedals go with any shimano spd shoes?

Thanks for all your help :)
Hi I have a Carrera Vanquish and use spd mtb pedals with no problems at all

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
There are two pedal "axle sizes", depending on the crank you have. Since MOST folks here will have the 3-pc cranks (2 arms and a BB), that's where I'll start.

3-piece cranks take a 9/16" pedal axle, which what every 'clipless' pedal I've ever seen is.

1-piece cranks (WAY old, & newer cheapies) take 1/2" pedal axle.

Put 'em side by side, and you'll see it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the 520 pedals and really like them, and as long as you get shoes with the 2 hole SPD mounting system they will work, whether they are made by Shimano or not. I use a pair of Specialized Sport something or other, I can't remember the model name, they're on the bike in the storage closet in the basement and I'm too lazy to go down and look. Like everyone else said, most bikes use the same size for the pedal axles so I wouldn't worry there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts