Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We commuters don't get to pick our weather, our route, or our wannas - we ride our routes to timetable. And sometimes, it doesn't go as planned.

So what are war stories you've suffered while on the trail?

Here's one - just today I was going down a short hill to a T intersection in a quiet neighborhood - facing the T, with a stop sign. Not really thinking about things and am a couple of feet out from the curb (yeah, uncharismatic for me). Suddenly this purple jeep gussets past down my left side, cutting in sharply to pinch me off at the sign. I skidded up almost into his wheel well. Then he takes a good look both ways and cuts right. No signal. Even though he knows he just passed a bike, no signal.

And on his wheel cover? "Life is good".

Better with turn signals. And longer, at least for the cyclists.

·
1,200 Posts
i only ride about a mile to work so not so my only one is wearing my bright orange back pack and yellow gloves heading about 15mph giving a left turn signal in the middle of the road and just about got rear ended by a cop.... pretty sure he was't paying attention considering he never slowed down or anything till about 10ft behind me then did the brake slam tap and whipped around me on the right.. good times :)

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Not commuting, but.....
*Had bottles thrown at me.
*Words I've never heard before hurled also.
*Had a man kick his truck into overdrive to pass me...this caused the tank in the bed of his truck to turn over and spill fuel. He slammed on the brakes, jumped out at me, cussing and said "see what you made me do?!!!!"
*Had a dog run out at me....I did my typical swerve at the dog trick (which TYPICALLY scares them away) we slammed into each other he yelped and ran home, somehow I managed to stay up, yet had to limp hone on my busted rim.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting to realize that there is a lot of atttitude coming back at me when I ride through "Historic black Eatonville" here in Florida.

Yesterday I had three pedestrians look me right in the eye and step off the curb - not smart given my lousy brakes. I also had a guy walking in the bike lane, even though there was a sidewalk, just shucking and jiving along towards me. Couldn't even get over on the grass. Couldn't even move over a little. Couldn't give me an inch.

All this within 200 yards.

Is this blowback from that Martin shooting thing in Sanford? Or is this just general orneryness? Or just lack of any childhood safety training?

Like I don't get enough Divine Right from cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts