Two Spoke Forums banner

Was I wrong for not explaining?

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  ksr5 
#1 ·
As I was riding back home from my historic research and Tourist In My Own Town ride today I was going through the west side of town on a busy street called West 7th. On this street is a place called the Soup Kitchen and not too far is the local Gospel Mission. The residential neighborhood nearby the people, are good hard working folks who don't have a lot of money but make do with what they have and wouldn't cause harm to anyone.

But there are a few exceptions. As I was riding west on W7th, going past the Soup Kitchen there was a couple of guys sitting on the step of the business next door, socializing. They saw me riding by and one of them yelled: "HEY LET ME RIDE YOUR BIKE!" He was not joking in the manner he said it. He yelled it rather agressivley. From the looks of him he appeared to either be homeless but not so much where he wouldn't cause someone harm to make his situation better.

I sped up because he was starting to approach me as I was riding by. A block up is the intersection of Hamilton and W7th. Unfortuantly I had to stop at the stop light and I saw in my mirror this guy and his buddy running toward me. This is when I switched from FLIGHT to stay and FIGHT mode and started to reach into my waste pack for my pepper spray and cell phone. These 2 fools saw this and I heard one say to the other "He is pulling his gun out." The other said "Oh ****, he is!" and they both turned and ran the other direction. The light turned green and I proceeded on my way without further incident.

I don't carry a gun, I don't even own one. Was it wrong to let these 2 morons think I was pulling one?

See less See more
#4 ·
Who cares if they were wrong about what you were pulling out as long as they were smart enough to leave you alone. Glad it turned out alright for you.

#7 ·
nope I think you are fine but I would suggest next time just flee cause they may have a gun.
Would not have been an easy thing to flee. And I already fled, by speeding up as they were approaching me prior to stopping at the red light. I figured I already tried fleeing and now it was time to stand and fight if it came down to it.

I was first in line at a red light with traffic behind me. W7th is a 4 lane roadway, I was in the right lane and had traffic beside me. The intersection was at W7th St. and Hamilton Blvd. W7th is only 30 mph and is commercial. Hamilton is an even busier commercial roadway, 35 mph and divided by medians.

If anything had happened there would have been plenty of witnesses.

#8 ·
The good thing about homeless people is generally they are easy to deal with. They can't afford a gun, sometimes they are drunk which makes it easier to kick their asses and due to general malnourishment they can't run for long.

#10 ·
If anything had happened there would have been plenty of witnesses.
Plenty of witnesses to you getting your ass kicked? That's not really going to help you. My guess is that since most people today don't want to get involved, not only would a stranger not come to your aid, they'd probably disappear before the police showed up.

The best witness would have EAA stamped on the side. :D

#11 ·
I don't carry a gun, I don't even own one. Was it wrong to let these 2 morons think I was pulling one?
Sounds to me like you were about to get your @$$ kicked and or your bike taken away from you by two thugs. So no, it's a good thing they thought you had a gun.

Had they tried that on me they would have most likely gotten to meet the business end of a .40 cal Glock. I always have a decent sized knife on me... just ask security at the airport. But if I'm headed into an area where I don't feel safe I take along a little more protection. Too many evil people in the world.

#12 ·
Plenty of witnesses to you getting your ass kicked? That's not really going to help you. My guess is that since most people today don't want to get involved, not only would a stranger not come to your aid, they'd probably disappear before the police showed up.

The best witness would have EAA stamped on the side. :D
Definitely agree with you once again, Hack. Seems like I do that an awful lot :eek:

Don't know how I missed the CZ reference, but I think in this application I would opt for something more compact- maybe a PF9 or LCP/LCR

#13 ·
Definitely agree with you once again, Hack. Seems like I do that an awful lot :eek:

Don't know how I missed the CZ reference, but I think in this application I would opt for something more compact- maybe a PF9 or LCP/LCR
Agreeing with me will only make your peers look down on you...

When we went shooting last weekend, one of my friends set a clay pigeon up about 30-40 yards out. I hit that with my RAMI, which only has a 3" barrel. Not only do I have no desire to carry a smaller, lighter, plastic pistol, but if I can comfortably make hits well beyond any range that would qualify as self defense, I can see no reason to carry anything but my RAMI. Unless I felt the need for the 19+ of my SP01 Tactical. :eek:

#16 ·
that is a little scary... i can't have a gun not being a citizen and all... but i doubt there are any thugs that can run me down when i am cycling. in your case good decision because it worked out. problem is consequences are funny because we cant predict them... same action a hundred times may have the same results 99 times but the other 1 could be less than what you hope for.
being a small girl and not the type to stay and fight... i would ride and ride fast. if traffic stopped me to the point i could not get away, i would ditch my bike and run... few bad guys i know who run 5:40 miles and can then run another 12 or so. heck with defending myself from someone who cant catch me.... if they can run with me and all that does not work i am simply screwed but would fight nonetheless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.