Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In July!!

I was about half way through my 20 mile night ride around 2230 when a car came by me and some punk kid threw a baseball size chunk of ice and hit me in the left lower part of my back.
I couldn't see the plate number to get it, but yelled out that I did and they just took off like a burning cat.

I wish I had a GoPro camera mounted on my bike...

·
Registered
272 Posts
What the hell is wrong with people? Sorry to hear about how you were treated, M_Wales. I bet that hurt!

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I've had stuff thrown at me from passing cars and pickup trucks, but I'm lucky that I have never been hit with anything that was thrown at me. Here in Tampa, a moth or so ago, some high school kids were out jogging when some other kids drove by in a car and one kid threw an egg at the group. The egg hit one of the boys in the eye, lacerating it and nearly blinding the kid. Luckily, the others gave a full description of the car and the thrower. They were all caught and arrested and their reason for doing it was because they were bored. If that were my kid that threw the egg, he would really be bored sitting in that cell all day. Because of the damage they caused to this kids eye, it is being handled as a felony assault and going to trial. I'm wondering what the outcome will be.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
John, let's hope the outcome is some serious learning! Boredom is a serious issue with the kids as I expect most of us seniors can attest to. But, something should be done to teach this one a lesson!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is messed up. How is your back?
I'm more pissed off than hurt... Its sad when people get bored they go out of the way to hurt others and cause damage.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
SixtyPlus said:
John, let's hope the outcome is some serious learning! Boredom is a serious issue with the kids as I expect most of us seniors can attest to. But, something should be done to teach this one a lesson!
If that was my son that was bored and did that to someone else, he would be even more bored sitting in a jail cell until trial. I told both my kids, when they turned 13, that if they ever got arrested, not to turn to me for bail money. I'm a firm believer of accepting the consequences for your actions.

·
348 Posts
How can they be bored? Their doting parents equip them with thousands of dollars of electronics.

Parents are too busy to teach responsibility and morals is a dirty word.

I had a couple of ******** pelt my behind with empty beer cans. Following me up a hill going 5 mph and laughing like hyenas. It was a rural road just north of Atlanta and no on else drove past. I was about 30 and cute enough then to worry what else they would do. I ended up in a ditch and they took off. That's about the time I got out of the habit of riding.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
DChapman said:
How can they be bored? Their doting parents equip them with thousands of dollars of electronics.

Parents are too busy to teach responsibility and morals is a dirty word.

I had a couple of ******** pelt my behind with empty beer cans. Following me up a hill going 5 mph and laughing like hyenas. It was a rural road just north of Atlanta and no on else drove past. I was about 30 and cute enough then to worry what else they would do. I ended up in a ditch and they took off. That's about the time I got out of the habit of riding.
Jackles are everywhere trying to ruin experiences for anyone that is not just like them. I get tired of the bully type.

·
96 Posts
This is actually one topic that really grinds my gears. Here in WNY there is alot of disrespect towards cyclists from drivers and most of the time it is kids. Many friends of mine and myself included have war stories and battle scars from immature drivers. We've had far too many accidents and deaths locally related to this (as far as im concerned one death is too many). Drivers here feel that the roads are for cars only and cyclists have no rights to use them. I think this is partially do to the fact that we have snow for a good chunk of the year. A few years back when I rode bmx I was coming home from work and riding on the sidewalk against traffic. a group of kids drove by screaming random obscenities and threw an almost full burger king drink out there window and hit me right in the face. I didn't bail but it certainly wasn't pleasant and I was extremely lit up about it. Also a gentlemen I work with is an avid cyclist and uses his bike for commuting he has told me some of his "war stories". He was once hit with a full opened beer can as to not just try to inflict injury but also soak him in beer. In high school a good friend of mine not cycling but skateboarding rather was coming home from school and some kids pulled up to him and actually leaned out the window and pushed him off his board he bailed and had some nasty road rash about 3"x5" on his hip. We recently had a doctor who was coming home from a day of golfing and drinking who hit and killed a teenage girl long boarding with his BMW. he was over the legal limit, he was texting, and left the scene of the accident. he claimed he didn't see her or realize that he had hit someone or something. he got off I believe all charges in his trial. there was a lot of outrage in our community. now the family is taking him to civil court (I believe that's what's happening). This past sunday a cyclist was hit and I was told also killed and on craigslist there were posts talking crap about him like he deserved it. and most recently on monday an 18 year old girl was killed sitting at a bus stop literally a couple miles from where I live. the driver claims he fell asleep at the wheel he ran her over and then crossed an intersection and then drove into a pizzeria. at any given time if you go on craigslist to the rants and raves section for buffalo ny you will see arrogant people ranting and raving about cyclists on the road. with almost complete disregard for human life in general. I was appalled on sunday when that cyclist was hit and someone had the audacity to go on there and make remarks insinuating that he had deserved it. I had always thought this was a common thing that all cyclists everywhere have to deal with but then sometimes I wonder if here in wny it happens more than other places. it's a scary world out there to think that there are people with complete disregard and respect for human life. it's unfortunate that any of us have had experiences like this. it's also very aggravating and saddening to think there are people out there who feel we deserve treatment like this when all we are doing is enjoying something we have a passion for and trying to live a healthier lifestyle. I'm truly sorry you've had to experience such an event.

·
Two skinny J's
21,433 Posts
Better Ice Cream than something you might receive on the numbered streets in the "News" :D Not that you would be riding there but ya know what I mean!

My bad ice not ice cream :/

·
717 Posts
Had some punks throw a half full bottle of water and hit my front spokes last summer. A few minutes later I rode by the county's police training center/firing range and saw a cop pulling out. Told him what happend and gave him a discription of the car and my bussniss card with home phone if he caught the jerks (he said he was a cyclist also). Unfortunatly I never heard from him but it did make me feel a little better on the ride home thinking about might happen.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Had some punks throw a half full bottle of water and hit my front spokes last summer. A few minutes later I rode by the county's police training center/firing range and saw a cop pulling out. Told him what happend and gave him a discription of the car and my bussniss card with home phone if he caught the jerks (he said he was a cyclist also). Unfortunatly I never heard from him but it did make me feel a little better on the ride home thinking about might happen.
It would have been AWESOME if he did go after him and call you back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts