Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road hazards in Wisconsin are not limited to cars. Even the deer are dangerous to road cyclists.

Watch out for the wildlife!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5xR4rYo9tw[/ame]

·
Rat Biker
442 Posts
HOLY CRAP! That is the only thing that scares the crap out of me for night riding around here. At least cars I know when they are coming

·
tall old member
1,333 Posts
Deer are evil. That's exactly what happened to me May 11th this year but mine was at night. I was coming down a big hill, I had good vision of the road ahead with my bright new headlight. My speed was maxed out in my top gear and three deer jumped down off the bank at the edge of the road. The third one landed right on my front wheel. I went over the bars and the deer, ended up with a broken collar bone and broken shoulder blade and a nasty looking eye from doing a faceplant on the highway.

·
Live to ride.
12 Posts
Ya know, I was wondering about this a couple of nights ago. I was riding through a winding rural road known for deer population (hell, all of Mechanicsville is known for deer). I saw a deer warning sign and just thought about what would happen if I hit a deer going top speed...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Glad you are going to be ok, but sheet time stinks. People think of deer and they think Bambi. Hint Bambi was a cartoon. They actually can be tough creatures that will fight on occasion. During the season with antlers, they will use them. Don't forget those hoofs. Getting stomped or kicked with one, especially in the head, can be bad news. The real good news is that the deer didn't come after you while you were down.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm seeing more and more deer on my rides -- especially when I ride at night (fairly often) but also during the day. I've been looking for deer whistles like they have for cars, but most of them need you to be going at least 30 MPH to work. I'd like to say I average that, but I'd be lying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm seeing more and more deer on my rides -- especially when I ride at night (fairly often) but also during the day. I've been looking for deer whistles like they have for cars, but most of them need you to be going at least 30 MPH to work. I'd like to say I average that, but I'd be lying.
From now on I plan to scream like a little girl whenever I see a deer.

That will have the same effect right?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
From now on I plan to scream like a little girl whenever I see a deer.

That will have the same effect right?
That's certainly one idea!:) And I have also used a bell when I see deer. However, I like the idea of something that scares deer off BEFORE I see them, since it may be a bit late once I see them.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Deer are evil. That's exactly what happened to me May 11th this year but mine was at night. I was coming down a big hill, I had good vision of the road ahead with my bright new headlight. My speed was maxed out in my top gear and three deer jumped down off the bank at the edge of the road. The third one landed right on my front wheel. I went over the bars and the deer, ended up with a broken collar bone and broken shoulder blade and a nasty looking eye from doing a faceplant on the highway.
Ouch! How are you doing? All healed up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I'm doing fine. A bruise on my shin has turned spectacular colors. The minimal road rash has already healed.

And I got a 7 point buck bow hunting in Door County this last weekend. Revenge!

·
tall old member
1,333 Posts
I healed up well. The eye looked nasty for a week, my hip (didn't break this time but had some issues, still has three pins in it from last crash in 2006) and my shoulder and collar bone stopped hurting in about three weeks. I had to stay off work for eight weeks, doctor's orders. I felt good and enjoyed my time off. I was back on the bike within a month but I haven't rode at night since the accident. I did a lot of kayaking this summer. It seemed like a safer thing to be doing, at least until my bones were fully healed.

·
tall old member
1,333 Posts
Thanks, I'm doing fine. A bruise on my shin has turned spectacular colors. The minimal road rash has already healed.

And I got a 7 point buck bow hunting in Door County this last weekend. Revenge!
Wow, CapitalB I didn't realize you were the one in the crash. I thought you were just linking a video you found on youtube. You really survived that crash well. It could have turned out much worse. I think your young bones were probably a lot more resilent than my 62 year old bones. When I was younger I never broke a bone. Congratulations on eliminating that 7 point. Deers are evil.:rolleyes:

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
I consider paved trails safer because 3,000 pound cars and 2+ ton tractor trailers driving like bats outa hell aren't flying and buzzing around me. Drivers texting and talking on cell phones and not paying attention are also always a threat. That's why paved trails are safer. The chances of deer hitting me have to be pretty low on paved trails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts