Water

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by KFaulkner, Jul 7, 2009.

1. KFaulkner

KFaulkner Guest

I drink about one 28oz bottle of water every one hour of my riding. Is there such thing as too much water? Could drinking excess water have a disadvantage?

2. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

Oh yes there is such a thing as too much water, you can dilute your bodily fluids to the point where your body cannot function properly and you can potentially die from it. Under normal circumstances it's near impossible to do but if you're doing an endurance sport you can easily reach that point if you're not careful. I wouldn't worry if you are drinking one bottle an hour, that is about the amount you should be drinking.

3. water

water Guest

I just thought you guys were talking about me

4. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

HA HA, we secretly were.:D

5. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

I usually bring two bottles on a trail, one larger one for the main cage, and a little one for the backpack.

I think for longer rides as I move on to them, I'll be bringing two water bottles and one with an electrolyte supplement in it, just for good measure and leveling of the electrolyte concentration.

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

There is a condition called hyponatremia which is caused by drinking too much water to the point of disturbing your electrolyte balance.

I almost always wear a 3 liter Camelbak. I sweat A LOT in the summer. On a hot day I can easily drink a liter an hour. Depending on how hot is is, I mix in 1 to 3 scoops of Endurolytes per liter. I like to use the powder that you mix into your water so I don't have to remember to take electrolyte supplements.

7. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Bob Roll just recommended a bottle per hour when it is "moderate" and a bottle per half hour when it's hot on the Versus TDF coverage.

8. riderman14

riderman14 Guest

i cant claim to be any "expert" here, but i think i can pipe in and just say that in my 40 plus years of just about every sport,activity,hobby,or just plain physical exertion,it boils down to what your body tell you!!! if you just listen to it,it will let you know when and how much you need! it's the best gauge i have found.we are all a little different in how our bodies burn and use "fuel".i just have one piece of advice thoughwhen it comes to eating for energy while riding.if you get hungry, and your stomach growls,and you get those little pangs,and you feel like you need to eat something,you've GONE TO LONG!! you should not let yourself get to this point cause a quick eat wont help at that point! ride on

9. BanTamStoWay

BanTamStoWay Guest

If I drank too much water, it causes me to feel nauseous. Although, it takes quite a lot of water to get me this way.

10. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

I hear ya, one of my big problems is that when I stop for a break I tend to chug down the water, unless I take it really easy the next couple miles after doing that you'll see me on the side of the road :(

11. hophead

Are you guys using water bottles or Camelbaks?

12. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

bottles here, I have sworn off of camelbaks after not washing one out good enough before a mountain bike ride.

13. hophead

Ya know, they make replacement bladders.

I think that you're really doing yourself a disservice by not using one. A Camelbak allows you to easily stay hydrated without the need to drink a lot at once and would probably eliminate your problem.

Water bottles are ok on road bikes and even on mtn bikes in cool weather when you don't need to drink as much water. Summer is for Camelbaks!

14. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

I just have a hard time remembering to drink while riding no matter what I am using, plus I just have a tendency to gulp down water no matter the circumstances. I am starting to force myself to drink a couple of mouthfuls of water every mile or so provided I can remember to do it.

I can carry more than enough water even on the hottest days, two bottles on my bike and one in a jersey pocket if necessary. My routes tend to go by a lot of gas stations and parks with drinking fountains so if I do start running low I am usually only a mile or two away from being able to get a refill. And with bottles if one has something bad going on in it I can always just use one bottle and stop more often to fill it up, but if a camelbak has something bad in it I'm pretty much S.O.L.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  15. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

16. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I have been told that COLD water refreshes better and faster than warm or hot water does. So add ice! Get one of those thermal bottles.

I also drink a large bottle an hour on a hot/hard ride.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  17. speedygee

speedygee Guest

Oh gross, I can see how that scarred you from using one again! lol