WD40 as bike lube?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Burr, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

What this I read about never using WD40 on your running gear??? I have been using it for ever!

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

To strip lubricant while cleaning, I hope.

3. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

I thought it was a lubricant!!

I wash then spray it on once a week and ride baby ride.

Does it damage the running gear?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  4. Industry_Hack

It's definitely not a lubricant. But it displaces water, which may help a bit where you live.

5. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

No rain in months.

I'll have to see what I can find over here, maybe 3n1 they call it 4n1 for some reason.

The dirt and dust is so bad here the chain picks up everything. Dry may be better. oily just picks up everything.

I wash dry and lube every Friday both bike (mine & wife's)

6. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

From the WD40 site:

Whether you’re a fisherman, cyclist, pool shark or anything in between, WD-40® can help protect the equipment you use and ensure you continue doing the things you love. Use America’s favorite multi-purpose product to lubricate, protect and drive moisture from your gear and help avoid costly repairs later.

7. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Would you put four quarts of WD-40 in a car's engine?

Well there ya go. :)

8. dcswan

dcswan New Member

Nigal hit it on the head in my opinion. I understand the WD website has "to lubricate" in their description, but the lubrication qualities should be considered a "light" lubricant at most. The WD stands for Water Displacement and the 40 means it took them 40 times to figure out the right formula to do this. You can find more info here It is good for a lot of reasons, which none of those reasons IMHO include to be a chain lubricant. I've used it on my chain to get rid of the gunk and grime my chain picks up, then after it is dry I go back over the chain with a true lube and wax formula. Just my $.02 worth.

9. Industry_Hack

It probably would work as a lube on low-load or single load surfaces. A bathroom window that slides, for instance, or the latch mechanism for a window. But not on a multi-load surface like drivetrains.

10. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

If you are that regular with cleaning, which is definitely the way to go, then you should use a good lube even if it does attract a little dust. Regular ATF (automatic trasmission fluid) is an excellent lube, doesn't destroy rubber or irritate skin (much). Good and cheap and easily available.

11. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I've never understood peoples fascination with finding other products to lube their chains with.

A bottle of purpose-made bicycle chain lube is less than $5 at any bike shop. Arguably, bicycle chain lube is the best thing to use because if some other product was better, they'd be bottling it and selling it as lube in the bike shop.

12. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Ryan, that's just not true. And the sub-$5 lubes you see at the LBS are marginal, most of the time, or in such small quantities as to be useless. I personally have to find a SWEEEET lube at the LBS before I'll pay $1 an ounce for it!

Like so many other things, a lot of it is marketing; general-use stuff, like the garbage WD-40, or tranny fluid (never tried it), or Mobil 1 in a lightweight formulation (recommended by MBA, on the sly) doesn't have the pizzazz or elitist appeal of something that's labeled bike-specific. Don't fall into that trap, that's where the salesmen want you, and they don't care about what's best for you.

Now, having said that, Giant Liquid Silk IS SWEEEEEEEEET! And it's about $8 for 8 ounces -- but it's good enough that I'll pop for it the next time I hit the LBS. Until then, Mobil 1 0W-20, alternated with stainless-steel cleaner/polish in a spray can, will do me quite well -- got me through 2 cold, salty, nasty winters!

13. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

You guys got to remember I live in The Philippines and have to hunt for everything I get.

I have other lubes but fine that they are full of sand after one 20 mile ride. WD40 doesn't hold the dirt.

I don't know, I'll test some more but I wash and lube every week. So maybe I can get away with the WD40.

I'll keep an open mind!!!

14. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Burr, I know people who have tested WD-40 vs the pricier lubes, and their chains last just as long with either. IOW, the lubricating properties of WD-40 aren't an issue. Bike chains aren't exactly put to the same stresses as car engines, either in terms of temperature or of pressures. No matter what some of the guys around here might think of their power outputs. The biggest factor for long chain life is keeping it clean. With WD-40 you have to reapply often, but that means you're cleaning the chain often.

OK, all that said, I use White Lightning Clean Lube. It's rotten for wet conditions; but being wax-based, it doesn't attract dirt.

15. snowbird

snowbird New Member

I like motorcycle chain lube. In an aerosol can. It sheds the sand here in Florida, and will last about a month. That's with riding 30-40 miles per day maybe 5 days a week, and leaving the bike out in the rain.
    It keeps the chain really smooth and quiet. It's like the bike don't even have a chain, like it's belt drive or something. You can tell when it needs another 'lil squirt.

Just don't do like I did and get trigger happy with the stuff, and spray everything in sight. It leaves a nasty waxy film that'll stain everything. Most cans come with a straw so you can get only on the chain. After it dries for a day it's dry to the touch.

The brand I use is Honda. I think it's made for Honda by Bel-Ray, a motorcycle lube company. It's under $10 at a Honda motorcycle shop.

16. dcswan

dcswan New Member

Second this, I used this on my bike while stationed in Korea for a year. I haven't had a problem with it at all and will still use it now that I'm home. And it can be ordered on Amazon as well, unless they don't ship to the Philippines.

17. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Anything shipped to The Philippines will be stolen before it get 50 feet from the airplane.

I've tried it many times. The post office steals everything, UPS stole my wife's Credit Card. The only one that seems good (so far) is LBC and that's because of the local man. He was off the other day and his relief told them I wasn't home after I waited all day for a box.

18. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Hey Burr, Maybe its the older dude thing. I use wd 40 under the covers of my outboards in the most hostile envioments in the world. Its also in the ignitions switches, trolling motor shafts, trailer parts, reels, and damm near anything else outside the kitchen. (Thats why they make olive oil). I wipe wd 40 lightly all over the bikes to avoid any rusting etc. Including the chain. I am sure its not on any list, and the LBS store sees the bikes on a regular basis for service also.

19. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Yup, just sprayed my city bike before I rode to the gym. (10 mile each way)

20. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

WD-40 is a water displacement product. WD stands for Water Displacement and the 40 is the 40th formula. Use it if your chain is rusted, stuck and gunked up to help clean and unstick it. Then use a degreaser and then a quality chain lube. NOT WD-40! I like White Lightening for my chain and Giant brand Liquid Silk for everything else.

WD-40 is also good for deicing frozen and stuck things like locks, etc. But it is not a lubricant. It is a water displacement product.

It is also good for removing pretty much any type of magic marker from almost any surface. But it is not a lubricant.

It is great to spray on the bottom of a lawn mower deck to prevent grass from building up, but it is not a bicycle lubricant.

It is good to spray on to unstick frozen rusted bolts/nuts that need to be removed when replacing worn snow thrower slide shoes, but it is not a bicycle lubricant.

It works great at displacing/removing frozen snow and ice when shear pins need to be replaced on a snow thrower after they break, but it is not a bicycle lubricant.

It is good to spray garage door springs to keep them from freezing up in the winter time so the garage door opens and closes with no problems, but it is not a good bicycle lubricant nor is it a good lubricant to use on the roller track for the garage door.

Are you starting to get the idea here? It has a lot of good uses, but lubrication for a bicycle is NOT one of them.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010