Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cycling is my job!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am managing to wear a hole in my shorts(Gore)and Tights(Pearl Izumi) in only four or five rides(30 miles per ride).
The wear/hole is in exactly the same place on the right butt cheek.
I have a Fizik Aliante saddle and there is no damage or stitching or logos on the saddle where the damage to the shorts is taking place.
I have a small Specialized saddlebag but I have checked I am not touching that when riding.
I'm sure it's not the fault of the products and it's clearly a problem of friction but I can't work out from what.
Anyone got any ideas on how to solve this potentially very expensive problem.
Thanks in advance.

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Make sure your seat is in line with the bike and you are sitting in line with it. The seat being slightly crooked or you riding slightly crooked will cause more friction there by wearing the shorts out.

Another possibility is that you have a leg slightly shorter than the other doing basically the same thing causing a small bit of friction as you rotate to that side to extend the leg. It may not be from a defect where the leg is actually shorter but it could be from being out of alignment and needing a visit to the chiropractor to get everything straightened out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The last time I saw someone post this question to a forum, it turned out he was rubbing his leg against his seat bag but didn't know it at the time. Must have been a larger bag vs just a small wedge.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I've done the same thing. My wear was more on the leg, though. Turns out it wasn't from my saddlebag itself, but from the velco that wrapped around the seatpost. I have since bought a Arundel saddlebag, which I love. This bag doesn't have a wrap around the seatpost, which was one of the reasons I bought it.

·
Cycling is my job!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally found the solution!

By trial and error I've managed to stop damaging my shorts/tights. All I've done(in desperation having tried everything else) is to drop my saddle height fractionally and adjusted the saddle so that it is perfectly horizontal(it was angled up very slightly before). This seems to have done the trick.
Thanks for all of your advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts