Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was day 1 with the new road bike. Finally managed to get up early with nothing to deter the initial ride. After more years than I care to admit, it was nice to ride a bike again - sense of accomplishment, ya know. Got in a little over 3 miles which was my intention so as to not stress anything to much for the first ride. (Thinking backside and other sensitive areas! :eek:)

Here is my question. For most of the ride it seemed like I had too much weight on the handlebars. Does this sound normal or like I need to make an adjustment in something on the bike? My guess is that I would need to lower the seat just a little bit, but since I am as green as can be, that may be just the opposite of what needs to be done! Anyone got any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
For maximum pedaling efficiency, the saddle should be at a height where your leg is slightly bent at the bottom of the stroke. Lowering the saddle may take a small amount of pressure off your wrists, but that is not generally an adjustment made to accomplish that.

What type of bike & handlebars are you using? Is it a traditional road bike with drop bars, a hybrid, or something else? If it's a road bike, the top tube may be too short. If that's the case, you can move your saddle rearward and/or use a longer stem.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hophead, it is a standard road bike with drop bars. So it is the seat fore/aft position that would determine the weight on the hands and not the seat height. I will make a slight adjustment and see what happens. Of course, it could be more bad riding form that an adjustment, but I will give the adjustment a shot.

Thanks for your suggestion!!

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
If you haven't been on a road bike in a while, it might just be that. Riding in the drops is going to put more pressure on your hands than riding upright.

Good luck & good riding!

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
hophead, it is a standard road bike with drop bars. So it is the seat fore/aft position that would determine the weight on the hands and not the seat height. I will make a slight adjustment and see what happens. Of course, it could be more bad riding form that an adjustment, but I will give the adjustment a shot.

Thanks for your suggestion!!
I have become a FIRM believer in core strength for that very reason. You are probably supporting all your weight with your arms and wrists. Take what you want from that but I promise you the better core strength you have the less of an issue this will be for you. Just sayn :)

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I would have thaught that the bike shop where you baught the bike would have done a quick fit at least. I think you nead to look up bike fit there must be a site that will get you in the right direction.
Sorry I can't be of more help

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rola, you make a good point. Having spent a lot of years behind a computer and very little time doing anything that builds core strength, I am sure that mine is not too hot at the moment. Maybe over time it will improve and the weight won't seem as bad on the hands.

Wild, we did do a fit at the bike shop. Did not spend a lot of time on the trainer, but enough to ensure the basic fit was good after making a couple of minor adjustments. I put in another 5+ miles this morning and still noticed the weight issue, but I don't think it was as bad. Here's hoping it gets better with each ride!

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
I just got my first road bike this past year only started really riding it a lot this spring and summer. Never had a bike with drops before and it took me a while to get used to them I love them now. Hated at first but if it is your first set of drops yep it does take a bit to get used to them and to get the bike dialed in to the way you like it. Happy riding

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
First off, congratulations on getting back in the saddle. I did the same thing this past Spring after 10 or so years and I'm loving it.

I think many of us here are desk jockeys and as Rola suggested can benefit greatly from core exercises. I just picked up a core exercise book geared specially for bicycle riders. Have only flipped through it but will provide details on the book if it looks like it is worthy of sharing.

As far as the bike goes, usually you can get the stem flipped over to move the bar up an inch or two.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about flipping the stem when we were doing the fit process but decided to wait. The LBS indicated the form looked good as it was, so we went with it. But, when I go back for the initial adjustments after a couple of hundred miles, I may get it done to see if that matters.

I would be interested in how the core strength reading goes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts