Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had something weird happen today or at least weird to me. I've been off the bike for a couple weeks (I got married and went on my honeymoon) and thought I would go out for an easy ride to get back in the swing of things. I get out to the garage and find my rear tire is flat....as a pancake. I checked the tire for any obvious causes like a nail or cut in the tire. The tire looked good so I got my hand pump out and started pumping up the tire. Immediately I hear a loud hissing noise so I stop pumping and pull the tube from wheel. I quickly find the hole in the tube. It's on the rim side of the tube exactly in the center of the tube. The rim liner is intact and I could find nothing obvious that would cause a puncture. My spokes all appear to be tight. The tire was fine after my last ride. This is not a slow leak so if it occurred while I was riding I definitely would have known. Could expansion and contraction due to high temperatures be the culprit? Outside temps have pretty much been 95 plus degrees for last several weeks and the garage is not air conditioned. This tube has less than 100 miles on it. All on paved roads or paved MUPs. I think I'm going to take the wheel and tire down to my LBS and let them see puncture and have them install the new tube for me just to be safe.

Ray

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Whats the hole in the tube look like?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
davereo said:
Whats the hole in the tube look like?
The hole is round and symmetrical. If it were on the tire side it would make me think that it was some kind of nail.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Sounds like the hole has been caused by the spoke holes in the rim. I would check the tape very closely to see if any sharp edges cut into it at all. Flats ussually are puntures and tears. A round symetrical hole is a tell tale sign of the spoke holes causing the flat. That is if what you described looks like a drilled hole and not like it came from an ice pick or something.

Temperature changes should have no effect on your tires.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Did you check the inside surface of your tire. Run your fingers lightly on the inside of the tire to make sure nothing has penetrated your tire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
davereo said:
Sounds like the hole has been caused by the spoke holes in the rim. I would check the tape very closely to see if any sharp edges cut into it at all. Flats ussually are puntures and tears. A round symetrical hole is a tell tale sign of the spoke holes causing the flat. That is if what you described looks like a drilled hole and not like it came from an ice pick or something.

Temperature changes should have no effect on your tires.

Maybe I should clarify....the hole is small. The diameter of a large bobby pin although I'm seeing it in an un-inflated state. Still, as best as I can tell it is near a spoke hole and it is almost dead center of the tube.

I did run my fingers around the inside of tire and didn't find anything obvious.

Thanks for the insight Davereo!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to follow up. I took the wheel, tire and tube to my LBS. They suspected that a spoke hole was the culprit and that the wheel liner may have slipped enough to expose the spoke hole thus causing the puncture. They also said high temps could have contributed.

They inspected the rim and the tire and I had them install an adhesive liner and new tube. I also purchased a spare tube. The total cost was $12 which I thought was a good deal.

Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts