Wells Avenue Training Series

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Bike Forum' started by whyeyebike, Mar 10, 2010.

1. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Well its that time of year....time for the Wells Avenue Training Series to commence in Needham, MA. Anyone planning on participating in any of the races this year? This series really is a "training series" so there are no points awarded for the top riders, but there is a little bit of bragging rights. I find them to actually be a little more casual, laid back races. Looks like this Sunday (the first week of the season) will end up getting canceled do to crappy weather; but the series will run through September 19th; so there is plenty of opportunities.

Post up if you are going to race....and let the TwoSpoke community know how you did!!!

2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Last weeks race was canceled due to a Noreaster that hit (I guess all that flooding is bad for bike racing). So tomorrow, barring more rain, will be the first race of the Wells Avenue season series. Looking forward to it.

3. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I finally got a chance to start my racing season with what I would call perfect weather for a race. It was probably about 55 to 60 degrees at the start (9am) and pretty steady breeze that didn't really affect the race much.

Seeing as how this was the first race for me of the season, my strategy was simple....stick to the wheels of the riders towards the back of the pack so I don't burn out to quickly. In these races, I tend to get overly agressive and toast myself too early. What I wasn't expecting was a group of riders who had no intention of even competing in this race. It was sad, but the main pack broke away and I found myself stuck behind a group of riders that were going to turn the race into a fast group ride. Needless to say, by the time I got by this group; there was no way I was gonig to bridge the gap without assistance....and when I looked around; I was alone. All I could do was burn energy trying to hold my own and hope there were a few riders that were stuck with this slow moving group that wanted to work to get back in it.
    After 4 or 5 laps, I was able to organize a group of about 6 or 7 riders into a fast pace line. We were able to bridge some of the gap, but never really got back into the mix. All in all, it was a good start to the season. Next week, I will pay much closer attention to the riders before the race and make sure I am with the lead pack at the very beginning. I did toast myself when I was on the track solo, but what can you do if there isn't anyone around to help. Hopefully, as the season moves on, people will get wise to team work.