Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your self supported camping, credit card, or hub and spoke touring plans for 2011?

My wife and I have been talking about resuming a credit card tour from Chicago to Glenwood Springs, CO that we started in 2009, but bailed out on when the sky fell and the rivers rose in middle Iowa. ( I can only ride so many days in the rain before the trip stops being fun)

Another possibility is a credit card tour around the northern half of Lake Michigan with a Manitowoc, WI - Ludington, MI ferry crosing. We did the southern 1/3 this year with a Muskegon, MI - Milwaukee, WI ferry crossing.

Last year we also enjoyed hub and spoke day trips on some of the Minnesota trails and might do a week or so in MN again.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Little jealous, Larry. The only bike my wife will get on are the stationary ones in her spin class.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
My wife got me started rideing now she don't ride. I have bin trying to get her back in to it, there are some small rides in Pa. that I think she would like. So I go out and ride 15 miles or so then I come home and get her to ride some, like 5 or 10 miles, it is a start.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well after the mother in law took the ferry out of Ludington (I think it was on the SS Badger) she found out that the weather started getting rough on the lake. Tables went flying and so did some of the people. After that when the words Luddington, crossing the lake or ferry came up we all learned to sing a little song for her.

Come sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip. A photo showed up at Christmas time that had the name of the boat changed to the SS Minnow.

If you do take the boat, leave a little time to recover from such an experience should it occur. Nothing sounds less appealing than having to get on a bike when the legs are not sure whether they are on land or sea.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well after the mother in law took the ferry out of Ludington (I think it was on the SS Badger) she found out that the weather started getting rough on the lake. Tables went flying and so did some of the people. After that when the words Luddington, crossing the lake or ferry came up we all learned to sing a little song for her.
Reminds me of
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
of the big lake they called "Gitche Gumee."

Our crossing was rough, but not as bad as your mother-in-law's.

We took the Lake Express , a high speed water jet propelled catamaran from Muskegon to Milwaukee. As we sat inside waiting to board, they announced that the wind was from the north at 30 to 45 mph, the waves were 5 to 7 feet high, and that, for our convenience, dramamine was for sale at the snack counter.

We were asked to board first and tie the bikes to the wall in the main auto storage area. The tie down straps would not cinch up very tight, and the bikes were essentially being supported on the kick stands. I was concerned that they would fall if the boat started to roll.

When the cars came on board, a brand new Corvette was aksed to pull in right next to us. It was so close that the driver could barely squeeze out without bumping my bike with the door. There was no doubt about whose car was going to get dinged if the bike fell. He was muttering and repeating "I don't like this... I don't like this..." as he left the area. My wife and I continued to struggle with the straps a few more minutes, then headed up to the passenger area.

As soon as the boat pulled out of the harbor the rolling started. When you looked out a port hole, all you could see was water ... then sky ... then water ... then sky. It was rolling so bad you could barely walk on the deck. I enjoyed the ride, but was concerned about the bikes, and asked the crew to check on them once during the crossing.

When we docked in Milwaukee, I got down to the auto deck at just about the same time as the Vette owner. We were both very relieved to find the bikes had shifted a foot or so but had not fallen into the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts