What bike is right for me?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Hanktheyank, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Hanktheyank

Hanktheyank New Member

I am super new to this whole biking thing, but absolutely love the idea of it... I don't know what the best bike would be for a beginning, middle-aged bike rider. I don't think I am made for the long distance, competitive bike rides, at least not yet, but I would still like to get out and ride around my town. Any suggestions?

2. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Hank the smartest thing you can do is go to a local bike store and tell them exactly what you told us. Why? Its there job to meet your needs, and they have bikes there they should be more than willing to let you test ride. There isn't a right answer, but there is one that is right for you. Looking the sales rep in the eye is important. You will be able to tell if they work there because they love to ride. You don't need to see the bull to recognize BS.

Suggestion number two is to get the best bike you can afford. You may not need the extra bells and whistles of the high dollar rides, but a $80 department store bike is usually more of an invitation to frustration than fun.

Number 3. Fit is important. Make sure they help you get everything adjusted properly. An improper fit can lead to injury. Watch the knee in relation to the pedals. The knee shouldn't be forward of the pedal.

Don't let age or anything else get in the way of having fun. Funny how when you drive down a road, you are passing over it. Ride down the road on a bike, and its amazing how you become a part of the environment. You feel things and even smell things that you would have just driven by. I'm out in the country and I can often smell the honeysuckle, or sometimes the skunk that just passed. One is definitely more pleasant. lol

3. georgec

georgec Member

And sometimes on a hot summer day it's the road kill from two days earlier.:(

4. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

you might even consider renting some different style of bikes to see what you enjoy the most and what feels best. The key to continued riding is to enjoy it. So whether it be a cruiser, hybrid, or road bike, you have to enjoy the ride. I wish I'd have rented or borrowed a couple of styles before I got started last fall. Ended up buying a CX bike that I didn't really enjoy. Moved to a road-worthy hybrid in the spring and love that.

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Hank, what do you wish to accomplish with your cycling? What do you want to do?

6. Hanktheyank

Hanktheyank New Member

photosbymark---
    Awesome advise. I would never have thought about getting it adjusted at the shop. I appreciate your tips!

I just want to get out and get a feel for riding. I haven't ever done it. I think it would be great exercise and an awesome way to cleanse the mind of daily stresses. I would enjoy being able to participate in the massive bike rides I see (just around town, not so much competitive). I'd have to work up to that point, obviously, so that is one long term goal I have in mind.

7. paulonadew

paulonadew New Member

All good advice Hank.
    Go round the shops and get the best bike you can afford, test ride as many as you can. Get it fitted. I am only a few months into cycling, I started with an old second hand bike, £30 then moved on to a second hand mountain bike £70, and have just bought a Kona Dew, my first real bike.

What I discovered is that as I grew in fitness and indulged in longer ides, my needs changed. As I discover the joys of cycling what I wanted from my bike changed. After a while I even gave up my car. So something to consider is a second hand bike fitted as close as possible for you, and s you begin to get a far better idea of what you want from this pleasurable pass time. Spend more.

8. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

Hybrid Bikes

Buy a Hybrid Bike. Its the best all around bike most rental companies use Hybrids because they can handle almost any kind of road. They are comfortable and give you an upright ride.You can use it on the street and bike paths. The 700c wheels are the same as a road bike so you can crank them up to 15-17 mph. I would buy a TREK 7100,Giant Cypress or jamis citizen 1 these bikes can take a beating they all cost around $300 and they tend to keep their resale value in the event you decide to buy a road or mountain bike in the future. Get out there and ride it like you stole it!!

9. rab

rab New Member

Can some one please explain to me just what is a HYBRID bike , SORRY TO BE SO DUMP!!!

10. kourt

kourt New Member

I don't know what exactly a hybrid bike is as well.. Is it better to get one than getting a road or mountain bike?

11. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

Hybrid Bikes

A Hybrid Bike is a combination of a road and mountain bike. Its build for comfort but it has 700c road tires like a road bike so it will go faster than a mountain bike. If you look at the Trek 7100 thats a perfect example of a hybrid bike. If you are starting bike riding a hybrid bike is a good place to start they are not expensive they start around $300 and they give you a great feel of the road.

12. Hanktheyank

Hanktheyank New Member

What a plethora of information! I was wondering the same thing. A hybrid seems to be the way to go. They sound like they are made to last. I don't mind paying a little more upfront if I know it will carry me through the future.

13. rab

rab New Member

So what do you call my bike? It is a Giant,Revel 2 and the tires are Kenda,Small Block 8, size 26X2.10. The price was around $380.00.

14. paulonadew

paulonadew New Member

Hi Kourt.
    A hybrid bicycle is a bicycle designed for general-purpose utility and commuting on a wide variety of surfaces, including paved and unpaved roads, paths and trails. It combines features from the road bike and the mountain bike, and includes variants such as the City bike, Cross bike and Commuter.

15. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

@ rab -- I'd call your Revel 2 a mountain bike - it has knobby tires, front suspension, aggressive stance, etc. Looks to be designed for light trails versus the heavy stuff.

16. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I would start out with something like a Cannondale Quick 6, a used one of that type if you can find one. If you look at my cycles just click on the little arow you will see a Explorer 2.0 comfort bike, a Quick 6 Hybrid, and a Absolute 1.0 Fuji calls it a flat bar road bike but it is a Hybrid. I realy like my Quick 6 I baught it used to see if I wanted a Hybrid befor buying the Absolute. I like the bike so mutch I can't get rid of it and I think it makes a good starter bike.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  17. tomk

tomk Member

Hi Hank - as a fellow quasi-beginning middle aged rider I went through the same issues. When I got back into riding about 3 years ago I was fortunate enough to already own a pretty decent mountain bike (KHS with all Shimano Deore groupset). A quick trip to the local bike shop (LBS) for a tune up and some maintenance and I was good to go. Basically - we swapped a few components to turn the bike into more of a hybrid: slightly raised handle bars, cushier seat & slick road tires. I used that bike for 2-1/2 seasons and it was a great way to get back into the sport. It is still a great bike and I plan on keeping it as my "winter" bike and for more casual group and fitness riding and even some "off road" riding on gravel paths etc.

As I got stronger and more involved I started doing group rides with riders who were predominantly on road bikes. Keeping up with them became an issue and I wanted something more suited for doing longer / faster (30-50 mile) rides so I bought a road bike. I have a ride buddy who has a hybrid and when we ride together I really have to pull back when on the road bike. That's not a bad thing as it does make me slow down and enjoy the ride more! (He got tired of getting dropped on the group rides and just ordered a road bike! :) )

Anyway - the hybrid is more of a general use bike and a great way to get started. Most offer a more relaxed / upright geometry that is easier on the lower back and neck. I would still head down to the LBS and have some discussions and take some test rides. Be sure to budget a little extra money for things like water bottles / cages, helmet, pump, and a few bike specific tools so you can do little things yourself. A good shop won't mind taking the time with you to make sure you get what you want and that you get the proper size and fit. Yes - bikes come in sizes and the fit may be the most important part of the equation to your prolonged enjoyment.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  18. Hanktheyank

Hanktheyank New Member

Awesome to know there is someone out there in the same boat.
    Thanks for the good info, I think I will go for a hybrid. Sounds to be the crowd pleaser. Wish I was as lucky to inherit one like you did! I'll make the trip to the shop though

19. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

thats a light mountain, path bike it has 26inch wheels and its made to ride on dirt road. Not a hybrid but a good beginner mountain bike.

20. rab

rab New Member

Thanks fo the information, That is my plan too ride mostly trails and off road.I just finshed my longest ride yet, it was on the Va Creeper Trail, 32 miles round trip Was a great ride for me, not to tired but my truck sure rode smooth on the way home. I hope to complete the full trail next year. It is about 76 miles round trip. That Creeper is very nice now with all the trees in full color, The trail is an old rail road bed from Abingdon Va to the N.C line.