What did you buy?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Doohickie, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

So after a wool jersey group buy fell apart on that other forum ;), I had some money burnin' a hole in my PayPal. What to do, what to do? :D

Well, I ordered a couple other things to assuage my sadness, and they came in today. I got me a vintage Wrights leather saddle for my commuter:

[​IMG]

And... another commuting accessory:

[​IMG]

Here's a tip... those shirts are only $10 shipped right now. ;)

So what have you bought lately for your bike?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Nice saddle!

I had a year-end shopping spree. Now I'm selling all my spares.

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Why the old saddle purchase? Just aesthetics or is that saddle a good ride?

4. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

Instead of buying something for my bike...I just bought a new bike.
    My first road bike since the 70's 10 speed days. I switched from a hybrid to road and bought a Giant Defy.
    Pretty happy with it so far.

5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I bought a second road bike. I didn't want to ride my Allez in the winter time in New England because the road conditions stink and there is too much sand and salt. So I picked up a used LeMond to be my training work horse.

6. turtlewoman

turtlewoman New Member

I bought a ton of stuff today. Egads! :eek: A new Nutcase helmet for myself, a helmet for my friends toddler, tires for a friends bike I'm fixing up, reflective ankle straps/pant-leg holders, a brake cable, lizard skin lever wraps. Just a bunch of stuff. But what's really exciting is that my step daughter has inherited from various friends about six bikes in various stages of disrepair. So, I get to fix them up. I'm really looking forward to getting in there and getting greasy fingers!! :D

7. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Since X-Mass I have bin on a spending spree. I baught a Absolute 1.0, a under seat bag, multi tool , a bike mounted pump, a new hand pump, mirror, some tire levers for on the bike, I know there is more but I can't seam to think of them. A bike rack for the back of my truck. a grunge tool, a cadence pick up for my cycle comp, a new flece jacket, A bike work stand

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  8. Industry_Hack

:thumbsup:

9. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Keep it coming people....this is like therapy. I am feeling better knowing I am not alone in my spending!!!!!!

10. JTGYK

JTGYK New Member

I thought I had sworn off buying more bike stuff for awhile...
    then a couple weeks ago I was forced to buy another Nashbar touring frame (returned section on sale for $45....I mean....C'MON!).

So now I get to buy a headset, chain, cables, and other misc. doodads that I need to go with the parts I'm using from my parts box.

11. turtlewoman

turtlewoman New Member

JTGYK,
    As long as your using some parts you already have then whatever you spend doesn't count.;)

12. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

I bought a floor stand bike pump. I didn't know (and you can call me dumb...) that my tires needed to be up to 116psi. I just wasn't getting that kinda love out of my hand held pump.

13. Jake_The_Snake

Jake_The_Snake New Member

I bought cyclocross tires. A long while back, I bought a Kona CX bike to train on the roads with. I used to race mountain bikes, but I sold the mountain bike and have yet to replace it. I had an itch for some off-roading so I scored a set of 700x38s from Nashbar for the price of tubes. Hit the trail yesterday and had more fun than I can remember having on any bike. The look on that mountain bikers face when I blew threw a 2 foot deep creek and rode away from him.... PRICELESS! (I gave the Lance look-back, probably with a stupid muddy grin on my face.)

14. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

:thumbsup:

15. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

I'm looking at new wheels, that will be my next big purchase

16. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

OMG... have you tried a leather saddle? They are totally different and much more comfortable than a padded vinyl-covered saddle. I went with a vintage one because it was about 1/3 the price of a new Brooks saddle. I have the original Brooks saddle on my 1966 Raleigh DL-1, so I know that those old leather saddles are pretty durable. I rode to work on the Wrights saddle Tuesday and again today, and when I get off after the 17 mile slog I feel soooooo much better than I did with the old seat. I watched several ebay sales before buying this one.

A couple more pics of the bike from Tuesday's ride:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yeah, I'm diggin' the aesthetics as well. But since this is the bike I ride most, it's more about comfort.

Excellent. For Christmas my wife bought me a single speed Schwinn. It was my first new bike in 25 years.

I upgraded the wheels on my hybrid (see pic above) a couple months ago when I started popping spokes on my old wheels. Now the bike just hums along so smoothly. You'll love getting new wheels.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  17. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Do you know what kind of wheels your going to get?

18. Industry_Hack

Round ones. They're all the rage.

[​IMG]

19. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I dare to be different....I would go with the square ones. I have a feeling they would seriously affect my race results though!!!

20. Industry_Hack

Funetical is going to be angry when he finds out I posted one of his childhood photos.