Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a job opportunity, management, pays well, but it's 45 minutes from my house and I would have to move.

They gave me a few days to think about it. I applied at a location in Austin, the said they could put me up as a cook there (My references worked well) but that they would rather have me run their new kitchen.

My wife and I are debating it now.

Pro: More money. I get my own kitchen again. I like to be important.

Con, I have to move, if it doesn't work out for whatever reason, we're in trouble.

What would you do?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Sounds like you would be happier at the job that's farther away. When you think about it, your job is by far the majority of each day. The rest is some family time/R&R and sleep. But proportionally, your job is the biggest part of the day that you're actually awake for.

How long would it take for you to get a feeling whether the job is right for you or not? 45 minutes does not sound like that far if you're wanting to give it a trial run for a few months.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could take while before I know if it's going to work. I'm going to see how these guys feel about signing a contract for the term of a lease. My wife says she doesn't want to move, her parents are close, but we have to make our own way, so I think she's on board with that and understands. My brother, the only family I have, is talking of moving out of state, there are no reasons for me to stay. Just the wife and kid.

I would be happier, like I said I miss being in charge.

My car is on it's way out, I don't know if I can drive it everyday. Once I was in San Marcos though, transportation is pretty easy, I can use the bike everywhere down there.

If we don;t take it, I'm guessing it's a couple of months before we have to move in with my inlaws, so it may be worth it so I don't have to do that.

I love my field, I wish I could get paid a living wage though.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Just go for it. I moved to Australia on a whim, so 45 minutes can't possibly be as painful, no matter the outcome. And you're due for a change.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm decided, we are moving!

I'm beyond excited now, I hate the hell hole I'm living in, the thought of living with my in laws is worse than anything that can happen if I take the job.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will, I have to serve out a two week notice, but I think one of my jobs will let me out of it, the other, we will see.

My lease still has a few months on it, so I'll have a little while to drive, but man I am excited!

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On to greatness!
I hope so! I talked a big game, I think that's what separates me. At one point in the second interview I was talking about myself and the guy said "At least you are humble." my response was

"How are you going to know how great I am if I don't tell you?" everyone started laughing. It was a fun interview. It's been humid in Texas, I was sweating profusely.

One of my bosses let me go, I told him, he smacked me on the back, and said "We got these (referring to the dishes) congratulations.". I talk to the other one tomorrow.

I get to see my new kitchen next week! A lot of it is second hand stuff I might need to make minor repairs on, but they said the majority was all new.

They are going to be transferring some cooks while they get started, but the GM and myself, who I met in the interview, are going to do the majority of the hiring. He's actually a Chef, but only on paper, after his apprenticeship he moved into Front of house management.

WooHooooooooo!

·
Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts
Fun, you know what they say, "Great thing happen to great people" You just need to stick around here and add your insight !

I'm glad to see things are working out for you. I try and project myself into your situation and wonder what my outcome might be. I hope I don't have to find out anytime soon!

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fun, you know what they say, "Great thing happen to great people" You just need to stick around here and add your insight !

I'm glad to see things are working out for you. I try and project myself into your situation and wonder what my outcome might be. I hope I don't have to find out anytime soon!
I'm far from a great person, but I acknowledge my potential. I appreciate you guys more than you know, I don't have but one "real" life friend and she gets tired of hearing it all. I have a Dude friend too, we don't see each other that much.

I am working out a two week notice. My Boss said I didn't have to, but I need work still, so lets hope I don't go broke before we open. That and he needs a dishwasher and I need to remain humble. I'm heading down to San Marcos this weekend, going apartment hunting, hoping I can cut the drive out as much as possible.

Woooohooooooo!

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Commute I had a 90 minute drive for 6 months one time.

You do what you have to do!

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a few places, I'm not fans of any of them though. It seems the majority are involved in a IRS tax credit program, and try to push the "street value" although if it's sitting empty, it's worthless.

I do not enjoy apartment people.

·
Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts
Commute I had a 90 minute drive for 6 months one time.

You do what you have to do!
lol, prolly not at 4 bucks a gallon, unless of course you where in Europe or something crazy like that.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Drive are starve.

No workey no eatey. Gas was about $1

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Drive are starve.

No workey no eatey. Gas was about $1
I would freak out if I found that price now, when I started driving it was under $2 a gallon, now that's over $3, I'm almost done with it altogether.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
The first full time job I had was pumping gas I have not forgotten the price 29.9 cents, 3.3 gallons for 1 dollar for regular 31.9 for hi test. I wish I could rember the hourerly wage back then 1959 so I could compare .

1 - 20 of 58 Posts