what do you carry to work?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by karlbonator, Sep 4, 2009.

1. karlbonator

karlbonator karlbonator

Hi my names karl and im an industrial design student at university
    im designing a commuter bike like many more before me

but i need to find out what items people carry to work or study.
    whats in your bags? ie computer, books, clothes, food.

the more info the merrier.
    and also if you have any ideas for a commuter bike, what do you want to see in a commuter bike would be gladly taken on board

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Hey Karl,

Welcome to the site.

Unfortunately, I don't get to commute to work by bike much anymore for various reasons, but when I did I carried a spare set of clothes, a small tool kit including a multi tool, spare tube, and pump or CO2 inflator, and a water bottle. My commute was only around 12 miles each way, so I didn't need to carry food unless I decided to bring my lunch from home.

-Scott

3. Cycle Snack

Cycle Snack New Member

Here is what you need to design: A way to carry a laptop, business casual work clothes, wallet, keys, cell phone, and a black berry.

My current set up is a Topeak Handlebar bag for the wallet, BB, etc... Garment bag pannier for the work clothes. Wish it had a little more room for toiletries and foul weather gear.

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Add shoes in along with clothes for those of us who want to use clipless pedals but don't want to clank around the office all day. If I was carrying clothes with me to change, I would also bring along a towel, because I have access to a shower here at work.

5. Xela

I also think integrated lights (headlights and taillights) would be a good idea on a commuter bike.

6. hophead

You need to get yourself a pair of these.....
    [​IMG]

7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Yo, HOP -- love the sandals, where'd you get 'em & what brand are they?

For the OP: I commute on a full-susp. mt. Bike, wear a backpack/hydration pack. I have a patch kit/spare tube/pump/multitool, work supplies (pen, sharpie, boxcutter), my necessary meds, a pouch for my cell/mp3, work clothes, with room left over for a six-pack if needed.

8. hophead

Those are Keen commuter sandles. I wear the Keen H2's just about every day. The H2's are wider and are secured with strechy bungi laces. The commuter sandles are more narrow, stiffer, and have nylon laces. I got my commuter sandles at Performance. They run around $115.00. I think REI also carries them.

9. karlbonator

karlbonator karlbonator

thanks heaps for the help guys, keep it coming

10. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Hell on carpet at work!!!!

11. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I have all my work clothes at work. I ride in plain clothes and just take my laptop in a messengers bag then change out when I get here.

12. Xela

Some new offerings from Keen.

Interbike 2009 - Keen Cycling Shoes and New Steel Bridge Back Pack Bike Rumor

13. trx1

trx1 New Member

in the winter i carry my work shoes, thats all! summertime, noit a thing!

14. Bluevoss

Bluevoss New Member

Let's see -

In the fanny pack: phone, wallet, keys, sunglasses, ID badge. Mace on the belt.

In the saddlebags: full-set work casual clothing, netbook, breakfast, towel, general tools, spare tube.

I line this all up the evening before so I'm not hunting around for it. Nothing like getting to work without a towel or a badge.

15. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well I haven't figured out how to carry about 200lbs of bulky camera gear worth more than I care to admit on the back of a bike, or even in my sportscar for that matter. Way too bulky for the convertible. It only fits in the SUV, but occasionally I throw the light version in a pack and get on a bike or the mountain bike and go photo hunting. Is that work? Sort of, but honestly not really.