What do you guys use for music?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by funetical, Oct 19, 2009.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I've got my Ipod but I'm scared of breaking it taking a nasty fall. I was looking for a tape deck like back in the day, but can't find one and the only place that still sells tapes is Half priced Books. What do y'all use how do you use it?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

For riding? My rear hub.

3. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Formerly I used this 200 watt stereo trailer I made if I wanted tunes on a ride. Plywood base, welded axles, composite "skin".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just use an iPod Nano w/ headphones that have a volume control on the cord so I can turn it up/down quickly and easily without digging it out of a pocket or handlebar bag.

4. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

i wouldn't use one. i need to be able to hear things around me.

you could always find a cheap mp3 player. Pricewatch shopping comparison | Find and Buy all types of MP3 Players at the lowest prices

5. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Same here, unless on trails. I wouldn't use anything that on an open road.

6. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I would like to get some answers to this important question too. I'm new to road cycling (about 4 months) so I'm by no means an expert. I use a $30. mp3 player from walmart, and it works just fine for me. As far as safty goes, when I first saw cyclists on the road, I thought they were nuts! It looked more dangerous then riding motorcycles, and I ride motorcycles. At first I tried to use one of those helmet mirrors, which didn't work at all, so I gave up on that. After riding a few weeks and getting used to cars and sometimes trucks passing me (sometimes pretty close :eek:) I came to the conclusion that by the time I realize that I'm going to get hit, I'll probably already be on the ground on the side of the road somewhere. So I decided to put my mp3 player on, enjoy the ride, and hope for the best. Its not like I cant hear anything, but I do admit it reduces safety. I would love to hear more on this subject.

7. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

an older iPod (refurbished) and a set of headphones that are very loose. They actually sit more in the back of my ears. I can hear the music and still hear the cars coming.

8. Industry_Hack

I don't know what's up with the exhaust on my Harley, but lately it seems extra loud. I'd never ride a bicycle or motorcycle with headphones on, but in the case of the Harley, it wouldn't make a difference. I cannot hear a damn thing. Time to get some stock pipes back on that thing.

9. Michigander

Michigander Member

Used to have speakers mounted to my handlebars. These days, I prefer the sound of nature.

Life is too short to drown out the sounds of nature when you should be enjoying them.

10. Industry_Hack

Wuss!

How did I miss that opportunity before?

11. paultech6

paultech6 Junior Member

Peace and tranquility

When I get on my bike and go riding i wouldnt think of listening to music. One of my objectives when i got into biking was to get away from it all and just put up with just the sounds around me.

Between TVs,radios ,Ipods ,cellphones,texting cant anybody give it a break once in awhile.
    paul

12. asmathews

asmathews Guest

I use a Creative Zen Stone Plus with Speaker that I clip to the right side of the collar of my jersey. No need for headphones/earbuds since it has an external speaker. I have easy access to the controls and it doesn't really interfere with hearing traffic.

13. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

If loud pipes save lives just imagine what learning to ride could do?! :p [​IMG] :D

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Because your a wuss. Wuss. Now that being said I guess the only real option is to by a cheap mp3 player. Thanks for the input guys. Ryan I love that rig I just can't see using it on a daily basis.

15. Industry_Hack

I see a lot of riders with no clue at all. My first street bike was a new Goldwing GL1800, which weighed 800lbs and had a six cylinder engine. I had it for 5 weeks before I took my test on it, and passed easily. After that, my other bikes have been like bicycles.

Nah, I'm just not afraid of crashing my bicycle. :p

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

You ever been hit by a car? It'll put fear in you.

17. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

no, but i heard about this dude that got slapped in the face with a bag of chicken. it put fear in him so i don't doubt a car would do the same.

18. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That doesn't even make any sense. that just sounds delicious though.

19. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I used my ipod for a while, but got bored with it I guess....now I'm back to just listening to what's around me...kinda strange how that worked out

Love the ipod, can't believe all that sound comes out of that LIL BITTY box, just not on my bike....

DrB

20. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I love it to, I'm just to poor to buy a new one every time I wipe out. Which is actually pretty often considering.