Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I put this up, we got some great questions. So, I'm going back to the well and asking what kinds of training/fitness/fat loss things you'd like to know.

Best way to climb? Best strategy off the bike to get stronger? How to transition into the off season? What to do with less daylight?

Ask away my faithful fitness minions!

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Best way to climb? Best strategy off the bike to get stronger? How to transition into the off season? What to do with less daylight?

!
Yea! Start right there!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plantar fasciitis
PF can come from tight hip flexors, calves and underactive glutes, chest breathing and poor ankle mobility.

It is usually an issue that manifests due to something further up the movement chain that alters the way the knee and ankle coordinate for movement.

Rolling the feet on frozen juice cans has been know to help as has soft tissue work to the calves as well as improve flexibility there as well.

·
1,355 Posts
When doing resistance exercises, for upper body strength be it free weights, bands or machine what would be optimal number of sets and reps? I am a getting older dude, using lighter weights and am concerned about bursitis and such.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
When doing resistance exercises, for upper body strength be it free weights, bands or machine what would be optimal number of sets and reps? I am a getting older dude, using lighter weights and am concerned about bursitis and such.

Thanks
That depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Strength? Stability? A little size? The rep/set counts for the upper and lower body should be the same. The legs should be hit a minimum of 2x/week to not only keep strength levels of up, but probably more importantly, range of motion in the hips and ankles.

Can you give me a snapshot of what a week of weight training looks like? What phase are you in right now? What's the goal you're shooting for?

I read something the other day that stressed the importance of lifting as heavy as you can after the age of 50 to build/preserve muscles as we age when it becomes a lot easier to lose it.

Bursitis issues will usually stem from misaligned joints stressing soft/connective tissues.

·
1,355 Posts
That depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Strength? Stability? A little size? The rep/set counts for the upper and lower body should be the same. The legs should be hit a minimum of 2x/week to not only keep strength levels of up, but probably more importantly, range of motion in the hips and ankles.

Can you give me a snapshot of what a week of weight training looks like? What phase are you in right now? What's the goal you're shooting for?

I read something the other day that stressed the importance of lifting as heavy as you can after the age of 50 to build/preserve muscles as we age when it becomes a lot easier to lose it.

Bursitis issues will usually stem from misaligned joints stressing soft/connective tissues.
Usually work out with weights twice a week.
Seated rows 4 sets 25 reps
dumbell flys 4 sets 25 reps
dumbell presses 4 sets 25 reps
lat pulldows 3 sets 25 reps
tricep pushdowns 3 sets 25 reps
curls 2 sets 20 reps
for the core I do something I would have to call swedish ball kip ups 4 sets 15 reps
and planks.

A few years back I developed bursitis in my shoulders. I was doing pectoral flys regularly on a machine and I am sure that was the cause. The position just seemed unnatural. Since then I have switched to using dumbells for flys with no discomfort, but it is in the back of my mind that high reps will make the problem come back. I guess I should try less reps with heavier weights and do more stretching.

Not trying to bulk up, just trying to keep some muscle tone and age gracefully.

Thank you for any advice you can give me. It is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ben said:
curls 2 sets 20 reps
for the core I do something I would have to call swedish ball kip ups 4 sets 15 reps
and planks.

A few years back I developed bursitis in my shoulders. I was doing pectoral flys regularly on a machine and I am sure that was the cause. The position just seemed unnatural. Since then I have switched to using dumbells for flys with no discomfort, but it is in the back of my mind that high reps will make the problem come back. I guess I should try less reps with heavier weights and do more stretching.

Ben, been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. Give me until Thu at the latest to get you an answer!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kneedrachen said:
Hip flexor stretches would help him do better in that contest, even with one leg.
No. Next!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kneedrachen said:
Hip flexor stretches would help him do better in that contest, even with one leg.
Great question, let me put some together.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
curls 2 sets 20 reps
and planks.

Ben,

Based on what you've listed for your workouts, here are some possible adjustments to make based on your shoulder history:

**Try doing these standing with a cable pulley or rubber tubing and a single arm. More total body integration and bang for your energy use buck.

**Same as the seated rows. Go a lot lighter and stand on one leg. Killer stability exercise + total body core. Using a single arm will also get you a lot more core activation as well. Assuming your abs and glutes are functioning correctly btw. Although, if you don't feel your glutes with the kick stand leg, this is the wrong exercise for right now.

**Try these lying down on the floor with legs straight, using one arm. KILLER ab exercise done correctly. You HAVE to plaster your low back to the floor as well as keep the shoulders/hips completely even with the floor.

**Try these kneeling on two knees hips distance apart and crushing the heels together to activate the glutes more.

**Take these out, you get all the tri work you need through the chest. Save yourself the time.

curls 2 sets 20 reps
**Same here, all the bi work you need will come through the back work.

**Do these look like pike V-ups face down?

and planks.
**LOVE planks. Try them for :20, drive the elbows apart as hard as you can while crushing the heels together. If you make it :15 secs, you're not doing them with enough force let alone hoping to make :20 secs!

Your rep counts are really high, and typically rep ranges look like this:
1-5 reps max strength
4-6 reps power
7-12 reps for hypertrophy
25 reps could be overload

SIZE IS OK TO PUT ON IF YOU RIDE. Revs up the metabolism, protects the joints a lot more, makes falls much easier to survive and gives you a lot more strength in the saddle.

Power to weight is vastly over hyped and over rated if you aren't riding for a UCI pro team! Hope this helped!

·
1,355 Posts
Ben,

Based on what you've listed for your workouts, here are some possible adjustments to make based on your shoulder history:

**Try doing these standing with a cable pulley or rubber tubing and a single arm. More total body integration and bang for your energy use buck.

**Same as the seated rows. Go a lot lighter and stand on one leg. Killer stability exercise + total body core. Using a single arm will also get you a lot more core activation as well. Assuming your abs and glutes are functioning correctly btw. Although, if you don't feel your glutes with the kick stand leg, this is the wrong exercise for right now.

**Try these lying down on the floor with legs straight, using one arm. KILLER ab exercise done correctly. You HAVE to plaster your low back to the floor as well as keep the shoulders/hips completely even with the floor.

**Try these kneeling on two knees hips distance apart and crushing the heels together to activate the glutes more.

**Take these out, you get all the tri work you need through the chest. Save yourself the time.

curls 2 sets 20 reps
**Same here, all the bi work you need will come through the back work.

**Do these look like pike V-ups face down?

and planks.
**LOVE planks. Try them for :20, drive the elbows apart as hard as you can while crushing the heels together. If you make it :15 secs, you're not doing them with enough force let alone hoping to make :20 secs!

Your rep counts are really high, and typically rep ranges look like this:
1-5 reps max strength
4-6 reps power
7-12 reps for hypertrophy
25 reps could be overload

SIZE IS OK TO PUT ON IF YOU RIDE. Revs up the metabolism, protects the joints a lot more, makes falls much easier to survive and gives you a lot more strength in the saddle.

Power to weight is vastly over hyped and over rated if you aren't riding for a UCI pro team! Hope this helped!
Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate the time and effort that went into your answer. I am going to incorporate these new exercises into my routine. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again

Ben

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd also check out any of " The New Rules of Lifting" books.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Neck Flexibility

Hand strength (get your mind out of the gutter)

Wrist flexibility (see above)

Thanks INTEGREAT!
Knee,

Neck flexibility could be a function for an increased need for thoracic spine mobility, dysfunctional breathing patterns (chest breathing) and mid/lower trap/lat strength.

More times than not, working on the above mentioned areas opens up the neck and restores range of motion. I'm hesitant to recommend more than that because neck flexibility can get tricky real quick if you apply the wrong plan.

Wrist flexibility can actually come from the shoulders. If the elbo angle is altered due to the position of the shoulder complex, the wrist will take the brunt of it. Same thing with out the foot/ankle takes heat when the hips are out alignment.

Sounds like with some increased upper body mobility you may be able to knock out a few things with one strategy. Let me know how it goes.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Well, if you feel like using your google-fu, check out (i think the spelling since there is more than one way to spell the word)

"Laterjet corcoid trasfer"

"Bicep tendonesis"

DO NOT look at the pics in google.

This was part of the most recent shoulder surgery I had, in November, surgery #4 for this injury.

Since then, I have developed "Double Crush Syndrome" in my right arm. Saw the main ortho surgeon on Friday, and now have to see a hand/neuro surgeon tomorrow due to a crushed ulnar nerve and severely damaged median nerve.

Since the surgery, I've had more neck and back problems than I care to mention.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts