3.escape the stress of work
4.develop a friendship with friends of the ride
5.help self achieve better health
6.on the way's culture and history can increase the life experience
7.Other, welcome added

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
I'd say you nailed it! I would have to say the self challenge (2) and better health (5) are my prime motivators for riding.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
It started out as for my health, but now I just want to be on the bike It is just a real good feeling.

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
1 beautiful scenery along the road and photos you took
2.enjoy the sense of self-challenge achievement
6.on the way's culture and history can increase the life experience
7.Other, welcome added
If I had to rate these in order from most to least important I'd say:

2.enjoy the sense of self-challenge achievement
1. beautiful scenery along the road
6.on the way's culture and history can increase the life experience (Not sure I understand this one?)

I ride primarily by myself so although I have made some friends through cycling I don't think I can count that as a primary motivator. I like riding a bike because it is the ultimate self dependent activity. If I play football or basketball I better hope the rest of my team is as good as I am to win. On my bicycle the only thing that will allow me to, or keep me from, cresting that next hill is my own strength and determination.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,502 Posts
7. What happens in my head while I ride. Free association with thoughts is the best form of meditation I have found.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
That's an interesting list. Depending on where I am riding and how I feel at the moment, any one of those items can be most important.

I can think of rides in the last month or so where each one of the items was at the top of my list.

1 beautiful scenery along the road and photos you took - Riding the Withlacoochee in Florida and riding into the woods to see the Withlacoochee River

2.enjoy the sense of self-challenge achievement - doing the first 45 mile ride of the year

3.escape the stress of work - pedaling around the neighborhood a few days back to clear my head

4.develop a friendship with friends of the ride - riding with some friends and topping of the trip at a really cool restaurant

5.help self achieve better health - Am dropping some of the weight I picked up over the winter

6.on the way's culture and history can increase the life experience - pedaling and visiting around the Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks; small town culture chatting with restaurant patrons in some of the little local restaurants in the very small towns we rode through.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Oh come on, all of you.

HOT CHICKS IN SPANDEX!!!!!

:thumbsup::love:;):D

In all seriousness, I think the stress release not only of work, but of everything else going on in your life. I find my riding time allows me to really (here comes the cliche) immerse myself in the moment. I focus on my cadence, breathing etc. Everything else melts away. Except for that car turning left in of me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts