What do you think?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Siu_Blue_Wind, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Siu_Blue_Wind

Siu_Blue_Wind Guest

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. Industry_Hack

Yeah, he should have purchased two seats. As long as they can make it a safety issue, I doubt he has much legal recourse.

4. Michigander

Michigander Member

Airlines are private corporations and can do as they please.

Charging fat people more is at least as good of an idea as the other stupid things airlines do.

5. JTGYK

JTGYK New Member

Being a (ahem) size enhanced person, I have no problem buying two tickets.
    It makes me more comfortable, and makes everyone around me more comfy too.:thumbsup:
    I just have to make sure that both my seats are confirmed together (it's kind of hard to sit in two different rows, or across the isle) and that the armrest between the seats does, in fact, fold up (some don't).

The only thing I don't like is having to get the attendant to help me find two seats together on flights with "first come first served" seating. It's embarrassing to stand in the front while the attendant asks for volunteers to move in order to make room.:eek:

6. Siu_Blue_Wind

Siu_Blue_Wind Guest

But if the plane isn't full I don't see why you should have to pay for two seats. I can understand if needing room is taking away from another person and they would essentially be losing out on a fare if they DON"T charge but if the plane is not full I think it would go along the lines of customer service.

7. Industry_Hack

At least one airline's policy is to reimburse the cost of the 2nd seat if the flight is not full.

8. Siu_Blue_Wind

Siu_Blue_Wind Guest

In all fairness that should apply to all airlines. It's like charging someone more if they wore an XXXL shirt vs an XS shirt. Some charge more, some don't.

9. JTGYK

JTGYK New Member

They do. They're called "Big and Tall Stores" where I wind up paying a XXXL premium for being able to wear clothing.

10. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I've been on a plane with a lady who was about that size. They managed to find her 2 seats together so it didn't become an issue.

I used to fly every single week for work; air travel is terrible enough without fatties taking up more than their fair share of space.

/is 250lbs.
    //fits in one airline seat though.

11. synack

synack The Back Row

I think that guy should buy two seats. I'm sure it wasn't easy trying to get the cart by him during the flight. But it comes down to a business decision by the airlines and they will have to make the call. They could also request planes come with a few extra large seats when they order more from Boeing or whomever.

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I don't know if there technically using all the resources aside form the seat that contribute to an over all price of the ticket. Of course then they are inhibiting the airlines ability to sell that seat at full cost. I like the "if there not full then they get refunded idea". I've been crammed into a tiny seat were people next to me are overflowing and I wish I could have gotten a little money taken off for the doubler.

13. JTGYK

JTGYK New Member

They have extra large seats...It's called First Class.:D
    Of course it's cheaper for me to buy two seats in the cattle section.
    Another advantage is the extra carry on you get with 2 seats.:thumbsup:

14. Siu_Blue_Wind

Siu_Blue_Wind Guest

Yeah you have a point there....

15. JTGYK

JTGYK New Member

Ultimately, if I ever need to fly with my bike, I could, theoretically, disassemble it and have it come within regular luggage parameters, spreading it amongst the baggage allowance for the two seats. My panniers could go as carry on bags.

If one of the bike boxes get lost though, I'd be sunk.

16. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I agree that flying is bad enough, it's even worse if the person in the other seat is invading your space. If you don't fit, then two seats for you.

I also wish people on planes could get over children crying. Bring headphones and prepared for noise, your looks aren't helping. It's easier to do Statistics drunk then keep a toddler quiet for three hours.

17. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Hey, Siu! Welcome aboard! -- DX.

18. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

How about airlines charge passengers a set fee of say 100 US dollars and then charge each passenger per pound after that. Little people would pay a bit over 100 dollars and huge ones would pay their fair strain on the plane. Just like cargo.

Can't you see passengers (female especially) jumping on a scale if front of witnesses! To see how much more they owe. This would be great fun while waiting in line.

19. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

No one would do that for that exact purpose. I still don't know how much my wife weighs and we've been together for years.