1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this competition
HTML:
http://www.facebook.com/probikekit/app_204169126292521
and just wondered what cycling actually means you to? Cheesy I know but I'm fairly new to road cycling and just wanted see what motivates other people to ride. To me it's the thrill of speed on the open road, the wind in my hair (under a helmet of course), pushing my limits. Look forward to hearing other suggestions. :)

Carl.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
For me, it has fortunately become an addiction that started off being a way to stay healthy in my retirement years. I ride every day and try to get in 30-40 miles a ride; more on the weekends. I enjoy riding solo, which gives me a lot of "me" time. The speed has somewhat of a thrill factor, but I mostly train for distance rides and any competition is against myself.

·
Registered
415 Posts
1. Freedom (a lot of me time)
2. Fitness (I need it)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I ride for 3 purposes.

1. Commute once or twice a week on average, a small bit to reduce my impact on the environment

2. Fitness, overweight and need the excercise

3. Alone time, time to clear my head and think about nothing too important.

Simon

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I ride because I just like being on the bike, I can't explane it, it just feels good. and you know the old saying if it feels good do it.:D

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
wild said:
I ride because I just like being on the bike, I can't explane it it just feels good. and you know the old saying if it feels good do it.:D
It's called an addiction. And, I'm hooked, too.

·
717 Posts
There was a similar thread about a year ago and I posted this, it still applies:

I still get questioned "why do you risk your life riding a bicycle?" even though I've been doing this most my life. My answers have run gamut of fittness, stress release, seeing the country up close, appreciation of the bicycle design and I'm still a kid.

Lately my older brother (a Harley guy) and I have been discussing a book we read way way back in high school, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig. This got me thinking about Zen and the bicycle, searching the internet I found this and I believe it explins why I ride

A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market, riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?"

The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart boy! When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over like I do."

The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended the second student, "Your eyes are open, and you see the world."

The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."

The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and said to the fourth student, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said, "Ahh.... I am your student!"

·
Two skinny J's
21,192 Posts
There was a similar thread about a year ago and I posted this, it still applies:

I still get questioned "why do you risk your life riding a bicycle?" even though I've been doing this most my life. My answers have run gamut of fittness, stress release, seeing the country up close, appreciation of the bicycle design and I'm still a kid.

Lately my older brother (a Harley guy) and I have been discussing a book we read way way back in high school, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig. This got me thinking about Zen and the bicycle, searching the internet I found this and I believe it explins why I ride

A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market, riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?"

The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart boy! When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over like I do."

The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended the second student, "Your eyes are open, and you see the world."

The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."

The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and said to the fourth student, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said, "Ahh.... I am your student!"
I like that.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
I think that many of us have ended up being the fifth student.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here I could find one of my favorite discussion. some people have bike addiction which becomes very problematic for them.
Everyone rides with different purpose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts