What energy Drinks do you use?

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by Biker, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Biker

Biker New Member

I use read bull and 5 hour energy a lot. Five hour even has a picture of a little dude on a bike.

2. Smiley

Smiley New Member

I don't need no stinkin' energy drink!

3. squirrelz0rs

squirrelz0rs New Member

I use Gatorade Endurance, 5-hour Energy and Powerade Zero.

Gatorade Endurance during long rides 90 minutes + because of the extra nutrients (sodium, etc.), 5-hour energy for long rides before I start and Powerade Zero just to get some flavor in my water during the work day. I typically only use water during any training rides or rides less than 90 minutes.

4. Biker

Biker New Member

Have you ever tried one?

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I mainly use Redbull too. I've never even heard of Gatorade endurance. When did they come out with that? What's in it?

6. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Yes I have. Did not like the effects at all. Made me jittery and felt like my heart was out of control. I work out enough that I get my natural endorphins for energy every day. Most energy drinks are high in caffeine, natural or otherwise, which I definitely don't need.

As for performance drinks, when I do rides that are longer than 3 hours, I use Cytomax, and Endurolytes.

7. squirrelz0rs

squirrelz0rs New Member

8. darkangel

darkangel Guest

I tried redline energy drink the other day, I have read some pretty insane stories online about it... I think it did give me the chills after I drank half of one

9. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

FRS products, put the powder in my water bottle and tastes good even when water gets warm. Also doesn't cause the increased heart rate, effect is noticable in performance, not in increased heart rate, check it out.

I would suggest to all to beware of drinks and gels especially to watch out for the sugar content. Sugar causes metabolic crash, and there is an epidemic of cavities in athletes using high sugar content drinks, bars and gels, even those who never had a cavity in their life. The acid content is also a problem as it dissolves the enamel off your teeth, not a good thing.

Ok, I'll get of my Dentist soap box, but if you had seen what I have in this area you would understand.:(

DrB (DDS)

10. Smiley

Smiley New Member

The acid content in what, the gels mtndoc?

11. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

12. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Gels are high sugar and clear mouth slow, bad combination. The problem with gels has been noticed within the last few years, but all DDS I talk to are seeing the same thing, some didn't even realize this was a problem.:eek:

The acid content in ANYTHING you eat or drink causes this problem, Garorade is one example, there are way too many others. This is something Dentistry has only recently learned/acknowledged:confused:.

Although Hophead might be onto something.:cool:

DrB

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  13. Smiley

Smiley New Member

That is interesting information. Our Coach is a dentist and he does the gels. Will have to ask him if he has noticed any difference in his own teeth.

14. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I'd like to know the answer to that one myself.

15. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Redline is pretty crazy. I stick with coffee mainly for energy. I'll drink a 5-hour on a long haul sometimes like when I do New Braunfels to Austin with my Club.

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Reline is the thing for long hauls. Provided riding your bike and talking a mile a minute isn't enough. I suggest knitting or something else productive while biking and chattering. That stuff's like crack. Any body try the tiny redbull shots yet?

17. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

DOC a little info on the FRS please, I don't know anything about it or any outher drink sept watter.

18. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Water. No energy drinks for cycling.

19. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria"

20. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Crazy, I drink a ridiculous amount of coffee just to get started then usually later in the day. I've tried B12 supplements but I prefer the five hour energy. It seems to be more inclusive than just the supplement. I know this, if I'm lifting and I drink a five hour, my ability is definitely increased.