What gets you to leave the bike at home?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by stealthammer, Dec 24, 2009.

1. stealthammer

stealthammer Still spinnin'.....

I ride between 6 and 12 miles to work every day depending on the route that I take (and how early I got up), and I often do 20-30 miles on the way home because I don't really need to be anywhere by a certain time. I ride whether it's -20* outside, the roads are icy, or it's snowing or raining. So far this year the only thing that got me to leave the bike at home was 30+mph sustained winds with 50-60mph gusts and icy roads. But I have people stopping me on the road all the time and asking if I need a ride due to temperature, snow, or rain, and it cracks me up. By the time I've put in 5 miles I'm feeling godd and just don't want to get off.

Two weeks ago we had a 15* morning with the first 2-3" of snow of the season. I added fleece mid-layer on top, chose a pair of winter gloves, and worn my winter Bontrager RL's with eight #6 sheetmetal screws in each sole, but otherwise all I wore was a pair of Pearl Izumi AMFib tights and a mid-weight Mountain Hardwear jacket. I didn't even bother to swap to my extra set of Nokian-shod wheels.

I took the 6 mile route to work and passed about 100 cars lined up in both lanes of the highway waiting to get on the freeway. Once I was on the frontage road that leads most of the way to work I passed several hundred cars that were "parked" on the freeway due to the numerous accidents, and I passed at least a dozen cars, trucks, SUVs and commercial trucks that were off the road in ditches. Then I passed one of my co-workers who was stuck in gridlock about three mile from work, and he eventually arrived at work over an hour after I did. That evening several of my co-workers asked me if I "needed" a ride home, after most of the snow and ice had melted and the temperature had risen to about 30*. They all seemed amazed that I didn't.....

Last night it was 30* when I headed out for home and I had a guy (who I had never met before) pass me in a pickup, stop (and then wait for me) to offer me a ride because it was so "cold". I actually apologized for not needing a ride and went back on my way. Then I stopped at a Burger King to get a Whopper and another customer offered to give me a ride! Man, it was only 30* and the roads were all clear. I had a beautiful ride!

It really made me think though. Why are people so surprised to see someone riding a bike in those conditions just for the simple fun of it? Growing up we went out of our way to ride in those same conditions while we were on vacation.

I'm curious though, there have to be other riders on this forum that really enjoy riding in challenging conditions and do it regularly. So what's up? When are conditions so bad that you absolutely will not go for a ride and why? Anyone?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I've spent most of my forty years living near the beach, and now I get about 5 months of snow. Seems like anything below 40 is too cold lately, but I've had some respiratory issues which have limited my exercise time, and time outdoors.

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Commute wise, I don't ride when it's below 50 and when it rains. The risk factor of stupid drivers is just too high.

4. borisbob

borisbob The Wizard of Odd

when it's below 50 and when it rains you may use this engine

Attached Files:

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

That's one industrial looking train. How old is that?

6. borisbob

This one is produced 1928 in Czechoslovakia. It worked to 1962 serving the narrow-gage train Septenvri - Dobriniste in Bulgaria.
    More about this special train I have shown here:

TRAINS IN BG

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That's neat Borisbob.

I won't ride if I have to work past midnight. I'm right next to the university. To many drunks.

8. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Since I don't ever have to ride at night -- no biggie, I have lights -- the only thing that takes me off the bike is weather that's just too crappy to ride in. Ice, deep snow, below-zero windchills, that sort of thing. Oh -- injuries, like last year's broken collarbone, or the recent severe ankle sprain that cost me over a week of riding (and walking normally, still not doing that).

9. kegoguinness

kegoguinness New Member

I ride almost no matter what. But, the recent storm did leave ice on the roads, and at this time of year I am commuting in darkness. I took off a couple of days after the snowstorm so as not to hit ice unawares. I don't seem to mind the cold much, though the bike legs of my new commute are so short that it hardly matters how cold it is.

10. borisbob

Poor me … I can not understand the slang – my dictionaries keep silence … I can not guess who is male, who female here … absolutely desperate in the end … :confused: :)

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

PM me if you need help Borisbob.

12. borisbob

Thank you funetical … of first I do not know what is “ PM “ …. :) maybe "ask me" :)

Never mind … I do not want to be tedious …

I have started learning English too late – I was 27 and I had no contact with people speaking English …

So, I have red and written most of all technical English … I have learned that “bear” , "ram" are important machine parts … years later, when I understood that these mean animals, I was so surprised … :confused:

In my next life I will begin with English of first, because I love it … :)

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Maybe next time I'll start with Bulgarian.

The one word, multiple meanings is confusing for those of us that speak it fluently.

14. borisbob

Well … in Bulgarian there is not grammar cases exactly as in English … but … verbs are very very different, so forming the grammar tenses in both languages is very different … no formal procedure to do it … so to match tenses is a great problem for me. I understand it, but I can not practice it … I need to be in English speaking community for only 6 months and I will :) ... maybe :)

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I would guarantee it. It takes familiarity with the usage and hearing native speakers speak it that really makes it easier.

16. borisbob

yes ... but .... :) ... we lost the theme here .... :)

17. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

You know how to PM. Like the messages we exchanged recently.

18. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Unfortunately, I have to haul tools and materials around, so riding to work is not an option for me... :rolleyes:

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

What do you do DJ?

20. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

OK, back on OT....

Today was a good example; I said before, nasty surface conditions. Didn't expect the first above-freezing morning of the year to be a case of THAT! Pure slick on my driveway, almost fell walking the kids to the bus!

36-37F isn't supposed to produce black ice....