Two Spoke Forums banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
A co-worker of mine who lives directly across the street bikes to work everyday. I thought, well if does it why am I driving? Bought a Cannondale a month later and cycle almost daily to work. Liked it so much I joined a group who go on back country rides once a month.

·
NC Road Biker
131 Posts
My good friend

Well i have always wanted to get into cycling but never had a bike to ride so a good friend of mine let me borrow one of his road bikes.I was hooked!!Got my own now and plan on riding all i can-Donnie:thumbsup:

·
Brit
58 Posts
I used to enjoy running more than cycling - it came easier.

Then, in 2007, I was asked if I could possibly be backup driver for a cycle tour my brother in law and three friends were doing - The Pyrenees, end to end (Atlantic to Mediterranean), taking in as many Tour de France cols as possible.

I agreed (I was training for the Great North Run - a half-marathon - at the time) but they were having much more fun! So I promised I'd join them again on their next trip, but they would need another driver, because I'd be cycling with them.

So that's why we plan to do Paris to Venice next year. It's the old 'Le Knees' team, plus me :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would like to know what got you to put down your car keys and pick up a bike?

For me, I first stated riding to stay in shape and then naturally I fell in love. Then I decided to start riding my bike when I can in order to reduce gasoline and car use. I wanted to reduce my carbon footprint.
hi .did a bit of cycling on andoff over the yrs but really got involved when work dried up am self employed in construction and with the recession here in ireland there was nothing to do so the bike kept me sane and used up alot of energy etc relly enjoy it now even ought new bike recently ....great therapy.:love:

·
Registered
13 Posts
bought a bike kind of on a whim after a friend of mine was talking about riding and got hooked and so i bought a new bike friday. now i try to ride as much as i can

·
Registered
127 Posts
I always gravitated to individual sports that I could do by myself whenever the urge struck - archery, kayaking, biking etc., I used to do it all when I was young. Then I got married and started to play a lot of softball. Hardly a sport to keep you in shape in spite of the fact that I played in a top league and played three times a week and every weekend. Then after ten years I gave that up and became pretty sedentary... and overweight!

Fast foreward 20 years.

This Spring my GF and I vacationed on Mackinak Island on the UP of Michigan. While there we rented bikes and rode around the island - 8 miles and I was gassed! Worse yet was a hill leading up to a historic hotel that, while steep, should have been easily doable. But I had to get off and walk - along with all the other "weight to power ratio" challenged people. That made it very clear that I had to do something.

A week after I got back I bought a middle of the road hybrid and was hooked again. So much so that I bought a road bike (Specialized Robaix) and a mountain bike (Specialized Hardrock) and am enjoying the hell out of riding again. The added benefit is I've dropped 25 lbs too!

Because I live in Minnesota, my riding season is a bit shorter than most of you so I am looking for a good trainer setup to stay strong this winter. My goal is to kick ass on some hills that kicked my ass this year. That means hard training and dropping another 35 lbs.

Sorry for the long story.

·
130 Posts
Iam 58 years old and after a lifetime of eating junk food and staying in somewhat decent shape I took it to the next level of getting healthy and eating well. This all happened about two years ago . I took off from work for a week with bad heartburn as it turned out i felt so lousy after a week I went to hospital with pain in chest and shoulders. They told me within the past week i had two walking heart attacks so they admitted me on a Saturday nite and Monday morning I had 5 by passes. Scared the crap outta me and i changed my lifestyle around .Exercising and eating well. I got back into biking pretty heavier than before . Now I try to do 10 miles every other day and a 30 miles on the weekends.
I ride both trail and road
Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
i wish i could ride the bike around town to get place but i really dont trust the drivers around here. we had 3 cyclists die this summer because they were hit by drivers that didnt see them

·
Registered
1 Posts
A colleague got into a car accident and wrote his car off. He decided to get a bike and start riding to work. He lived about the same distance away, so after a few months I decided to start commuting by bike. I borrowed my dad's 20 year old road bike to see if I would sick at it. After six months, I bought myself a new bike, and started to love the ride even more. Now my problem is that I live too close to work and I keep finding new routes to make my commutes longer.

I keep wondering why I didn't start riding earlier, and why it took my mate's car accident to prompt me. The person sitting next to me at work had been commuting for years, and my dad used to ride and commute to work (before he retired).

I'm going to sell my car later this month, I can't imagine life without a bike now.

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
I started riding because my brother put a new bike on my front porch. After gaining a bunch of weight over the last ten years, taking two blood pressure meds, and a bunch of other health issues I had decided to try to get back in shape at 56. Started walking, then running some but knees were getting sore. At a family gathering I had mentioned that I was watching craigslist for a bike I could afford. My brother had been wanting a bike bad, but he spent his cash on a bike for me so I felt compeled to ride. I discovered I just loved riding, and try to spend a couple of hours a day on it now. Since then I have purchased a bike for my wife a bike and our adult daughter as well. Sixty six pounds later off all meds and feeling good I am a happy camper. I plan to give the bike to my son in law now as my wife just ordered a new bike for me. (My brother already got his bike. A gift from mom)

·
Brit
58 Posts
That's a brilliant story, Skidmark, and great to hear you're involving the rest of your family, too. I hope your brother got a bike too.

Roy

·
Registered
113 Posts
when i was in middle school/high school , my friends and i would ride our bmx bikes in some trails behind my house (devil's den).

Haven;t really rode since then or even owned a bike. bought a mountain bike when i was going on a church camping trip. since then didn't ride at all.

recently my cousins invited me to go urban riding with them. through downtown San Antonio, it was a lot of fun.

i guess for me it was who i was riding with. i never had the desire to go and ride, but i will go if i'm invited. i have been riding with my cousins for the last month at least once a week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My uncle has his own team and races (road) in Poland. I got my 1st bike (2000 Jamis) on a yard sale for $20 years ago and never used it. So between my uncle urging me all the time, and watching this years Tour de France, I suddenly remembered I had a bike. Tuned it up (found out it was worth $800), started riding, and 5 months later I'm addicted, got a new ride, and spent at least over $3K up to date now. My personal goal is to compete on some level and be on a team someday.

-Greg

·
Registered
22 Posts
What got me started...

....giving my age away now.....

I got into cycling because my elder brother used a bike to get to school which was about an hour away.

As I grew up in South-Africa; mountain-bikes were just a distant dream. In our township were two bumper-car [hell-drivers] who couldn't gain access to a tract to practice on. They tore the main road up all week before a race.

That moved us as street buddies, who happened to help out at the track during races, to develop a need for speed. We were too young to drive so we built our own kind of mtb, way before it was ever dreamt up.

In SA there were what we called 'fat-tyre' bikes. We crossed parts over onto road bikes - fat tire on the rear and slick narrow up front... no mud-guards and rear carriers... sheer minimalist, built for speed!

Those were wild days.... broken bones were worn with pride because if dad found out, he buckle your butt!

·
53 Posts
Well, I'm ashamed to admit it took a Dr's call that my running days were over after some 25-odd years due to some chronic spinal degradation issues.

Bought my first fitness bike a year ago--a Trek 7.3FX. Decided to trade it in on a road bike this month, after learning that we're going to be moving to Italy (Sicily) in June for a three year tour.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Brazenboy, Hoe gaan dit?

As a kid bikes were the method of transportation, maintenance? that was turning the bike
upside down and squirting some oil on the chain, abandoned the bike when I got my license.
Fast forward a few years and I took up riding to support my skiing, figured it would be a
good way to keep my legs in shape in the off season. Well I found I liked riding much more than skiing, and I could satisfy my urge to tinker by learing basic maintenance.
The skis are stored in the attic, there just isn't any good skiing in Texas, but we sure
got lots of roads and a velodrome. what more could one ask for?
Marty

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dit gaan tekere!

Ja, Three-In-One oil!

Actually I built myself a ten-tooth fixie.

Lord! I was only nine years old and battled on with that bike, fighting the south-easter and that's how it became possible for me later to leave the stronger riders in my dust when grinding up Devil's Peak in the Cape Argus Tours.

How long have you been in Texas?
:thumbsup:

21 - 40 of 87 Posts